An interesting lecture

Andy Meade

Advert

Thanks Andy.

Might be an excuse for me to see what The University of Wolverhampton's like now . Got my B.Sc. in mechanical engineering from there in the late '60s when it was still a college of technology; a good one too. Happy days...

First ever flight was from RAF Cosford in a beat-up D.H. Dragon Rapide . Live near Hereford now.

Norm

Not so strange really when a Mechanical Engineering Degree embodied multiple disciplines like electrics, electronics, chemistry, metallurgy, thermodynamics, production techniques as well as the stuff you normally associate like stress, vibration and systems analysis, design and drafting. Just like the stuff we do now for fun, especially if you scratch-build...

I even remember some wind-tunnel experiments with a flat-plate airfoil as part of thermodynamics, only because I was the one who fiddled with it and bent the pitot tube array!blush

Norm

Quite right Frank , sloppy of me, it is Fluid Mechanics.

Thermodynamics and fluid mechanics were grouped on our course and taught by the same lecturer . I always remember his signature statement - " well, how do we solve this problem... Bernoulli 1 to 2 of course ! ". Guess what became his nickname wink. Good lecturer though. Went on a week's residential course at UMIST once...

Norm

the fluids lab !! used out of time to finely tune boat hulls for RC racing , flow checking A series cylinder heads to improve performance , The practical labs , ie all machinery , skimming cylinder heads , welding , flying with the ATC which we shared with Nottingham Uni , Car time trialing on a bit of Donington which one of the students dads owned ,

( long before it was reopened )

But back to the subject of lectures !!

the best by far was a Chemistry prof from Nottingham who gave a annual talk and demo of all known explosives

except nuclear ! I nearly swapped Mechanical for Chemical eng !!

cheers

I agree very interesting and I would love to attend the full set of lectures but it's not possible. Pity the lecture are not available online.
Last year I did complete an online course which others may be interested in. It is repeated several times a year. The course was World War 1: Aviation comes of age a 3 week long course that is intended to take up about three hours a week but I found the optional further reading unmissable and so I had to allow more time.
https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/ww1-aviationThis also meant that having started the course late I was even later finishing it - it took me about 5 weeks in total and I really enjoyed it. Just shows how flexible the the course is. It's a free online course from the University of Birmingham’s Centre for War Studies.
The course covers many aspects about the early days of aviation and how it evolved from the formation of the Royal Flying Core before the war and the Royal Air Force by the end of it.

There's other interesting courses like this available via the Future Learn website so it's well worth a look.

Ian