Glider!..

Does anyone know if it is possible to acquire a sizable glider that could be assembled on the field, I would want something sizable and would be looking at fitting camera etc.. I'm talking about a glider whereby you would be able to assemble the wings and body in stages. For transportation ease etc.

Advert

You don't need to go crazy big to fit an FPV system to a glider, but it depends on how deep his pockets are.

Personally, I'd make a pod and fit it to the top of an RCRCM Typhoon, which breaks down lovely.

This K8 has a removable tail and is quite big (3.5m), also has plenty of room for electronics up front.

I take it this for the slope then, rather than aerotow?

Slope soaring - you have no other power than that of nature blowing up a hill / ridge / dune / lump to provide lift for us to turn into height and thus energy.

Aerotow - height is gained via a tug, which pulls the glider to altitude. The glider is then released and free to find lift (be it thermal or slope), and returns to terra firma for another go if it doesn't find anything.

Edited By Andy Meade on 09/03/2015 12:21:11

The airborne side of the Fat Shark systems are not very big, so I'd think a scale glider around 3m plus wingspan would be perfect, something scale (or the new Multiplex Heron) would be best as the fuselage will have plenty of room to fit the video transmitter etc.

One problem with going too large in gliders, is that when you are on the slope and it's windy putting them together can be a challenge in itself, as can launching them. I have a Seagull 3m Pilatus and I don't think that would have any problems carrying an FPV set up, I've also flown my 4m Discus with a Mobius and didn't even notice it.

I'm just refurbishing my Pat Teakle HP 18 (see avutar) and plan to be able to install my Fat Shark system to do some FPV with it. Actually something from the Pat Teakle range would probably make a good candidate

That's a different animal altogether Stephen - electric gliders don't need a slope or a tug, and can search out thermals all on their own, and powering as you say in between if needed. I think the K8 listed above has been successfully converted to EP at some point.

I have a trainer at moment , Irvine engines... 40,46,53. also some other engines... I will prob sell some. But my friend assists me on the engineering side... so I want to sort him out a birthday present. He talks about gliders and FPV.. we have insurance but we don't fly from a club... we have an area we use to fly without the expense of a club. I get the expertise/advice i need on this RCME site.

Stephen, welcome to the world of gliding! I don't want to be the one to pour cold water on your ambitions (and I may be hated for saying this) but given you seem to know very little about flying gliders I don't thinks it's sensible to be looking for the biggest one you can find and embarking on FPV with it.

Slope soaring has it's own skill set that is subtlely different to power flying so start small. Also, you'd be surprised by the carrying capacity of gliiders. I reckon you could comfortably get it all on a 100" soarer thumbs up

"but found it impossible in Dorset" !

sorry for hijacking the thread BUT ! The Purbecks ? you can fly in just about any direction if you don't mind a walk.

In the north of the county the Wessex Soaring Association has slopes.

In the west there is Ringstead etc

russ

Posted by russ d on 10/03/2015 08:14:05:

"but found it impossible in Dorset" !

sorry for hijacking the thread BUT ! The Purbecks ? you can fly in just about any direction if you don't mind a walk.

In the north of the county the Wessex Soaring Association has slopes.

In the west there is Ringstead etc

russ

I have asked russ to provide some info. I couldn't find anywhere.