pattern

Richie P

A pattern prop is designed to suit 'pattern' flying, so the blade will be designed to give good pull on the up and braking effect on the down where the engine is un loaded, so it is there to help you with a more constant air speed. Also is is proberly not as tough as a sport prop specially the blade near the hub. it will be tougher than a electric prop.

A pattern prop (apc)is generally anything above an 8" pitch ie 10x9/10/11/12/13/14. Using this type of prop reduces the noise footprint of the model, which is crucial in F3a comps (pattern),and also for everyday use.

N.... ie 13x13.5N. Signifies a narrow blade which puts less load on the engine allowing it to turn greater pitches with reduced down line braking effect.

W.....ie 13x10W. Signifies a wide blade which increases the load on the engine with better braking effect.

E.. Signifies a blade/prop specifically designed for Electric propulsion systems and is NOT designed for I. C use. As a matter of extreme safety do not use on an ic engine

An ic prop is a lot heavier than an equivalent electric prop.

If you was to measure the current drawn by an electric motor and compared like for like between the same size electric & & ic prop you will find the current draw will be significantly higher for the ic varient of prop

Hope this helps

Sam

Edited By Sam Wragg on 24/03/2015 19:55:22

sam iam glad you picked up on this thread not only can i use this prop on my racing corsair but youv also pointed me in the right direction of what prop to use on my pattern ship, they dont tell you in manuels to ues pattern props i only came across them by mistake

Posted by Richie P on 24/03/2015 18:37:41:

can anyone tell me the difference between electric and pattern props, i have a 11x12 apc pattern prop can i use this on an electric model

cheers richie

Yes you can...

but as above dont use elec props on ic....

Q.

for like between the same size electric & & ic prop you will find the current draw will be significantly higher for the ic varient of prop

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Eyup Owdlad.

An I.C Prop has to withstand the " knock it on the Head " bash of combustion ( double hard with a 4T) along with the violent acceleration / deceleration of the piston and other reciprocating masses , plus the variable torque / rpm loads , hence its Mass / weight .

A sparky thing , apart from the ( possibly) odd violent stop / start has much more of a

" constant " since its torque is a consistent at all rpm. , which in turn affords a much lighter , more efficient prop . .

which may explain why a leccy ' will fly smoother at slower speeds than an I.C , even if its overall model mass / weight is the same .

The torque load is largely irrelevant, it's how the load is delivered what counts.

e.g . A V -Twin Motorcycle will devour it's drive chain ( because of the irregular and violent power pulses ) than a relatively smooth - running in - line 4.

* Increasing the rpm on an I.C magnifies this effect , but to the human ear it will sound smoother .