Dud you hear the one about the bloke who......

David Davis

I'd had quite a good dinner on Saturday night washed down with a fine South African Pinotage. Just before going to bed, I went on eBay. On an American site, everyone was waxing lyrical about Enya engines. Now I've owned several Enya SS two-stroke engines in the past, usually fitted to trainers which I sold on once I'd started selling the Telemasters. Over the last couple of weeks I've had a "yen" (sorry!) to own an Enya again, solid reliable engines that they are, with a good spares back-up in the UK. OK they're not the most powerful engines in the world but you pays your money and you takes your choice. Now it's not that I need a model aeroplane engine. When I last counted I had thirty-three of them ranging from a Mills 75 of 0.75cc to a Laser 150 V twin and only six were fitted to serviceable models. I bid peanuts on several Enya two-strokes and was always out-bid.

So there I am on eBay late last Saturday night in no pain at all, when I noticed an Enya 120 four-stroke. There had been no bids and the starter bid was £75. I dropped £75 on it. Then there was that section which reads something like, "People who viewed this item also viewed...." There was an old Laser 62 listed. Bidding had reached £47 so I dropped £50.11 on it and went to bed confident that I would be out bid on both of them.

I went flying on the Sunday, the new BE2 which is quite a challenge, then I switched on the computer when I got home and, yes, you've guessed it I'd won both of them! £139 including postage up my jumper for something I don't need!

Aaargh!!!!!

Both have now arrived. The Laser seemed to be a bit stuck so I filled the cylinder with glow fuel and left it overnight. Now it turns freely and the valves open and close. The Enya is a substantial bit of kit with good compression.

I hope to run them up on the test stand during the next few days.

Advert

Posted by Area 51 on 26/03/2015 10:53:20:
Posted by Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 25/03/2015 20:54:21:

You can never have too many engines David....thumbs up

My thoughts exactly.. same goes for kits too!

Got to love a true model flyer yes

I bought the BE2 from a bloke who'd left his wife with 463 assorted aeromodelling items in the house when he died!

I got the Enya running yesterday. It started easily and throttled beautifully once I'd adjusted the main needle to suit the propeller. £75 for a 120 fourstroke? Bargain!

The Laser however, resting on a stump, lacks compression and requires further investigation.

enya 120 4c.jpg

Edited By David Davis on 28/03/2015 13:40:36

Posted by Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 28/03/2015 13:57:11:

Only 463??? He can't have been very keen.....I think I have 463 modelling items in each of my drawers......& I have a lot of drawers!!!!teeth 2

How about 43 unstarted kits, 37 complete airframes, some requiring repair, 39 engines,23 electric motors, 76 propellers and a box containing at least 50 plans.

The box counts as one item!

At least you got your engines delivered David. I fellow modeller of your (our) club put in a stella bid on a VW van after returning home from the pub one night in a particularly good mood. Like you, he was surprised to find he had won it the next day (especially as he couldn't quite remember bidding for it!). Only problem it was in Scotland and, if that was not bad enough, it broke down on the way home to sunny Shropshire.

Sparks