Camping Sites near NATS

Advert

If the camping at the nats site itself does not fit Swmbo specification although it has the facilities.no hook up though There is a lovely caravan site five minutes away in Ancaster. It's called Woodland Waters. I believe it's as lovely as it sounds and you could walk to the Nats if the boss wanted the car. However to stay on site at Barkston takes some beating

Posted by Paul Marsh on 04/04/2015 18:23:54:

The Nats have loads of space for camping - why camp anywhere else?

Maybe because of the astronomical cost.
Due to work commitments we cannot pre-book and arrive at about 8pm Saturday, camp over for one night and leave at close of play on Sunday. For the two of us we are charged £60 which makes it the most expensive nights camping we've ever experienced. Swmbo has no interest at all in models and just goes for a rest and a read, but has to pay the same as me.  Unlike Elvington, there is no pro-rata reduction if you can't stay all weekend.  I love the nats but the camping is just too expensive for me.

Cheers
Phil

Edited By Phil Green on 05/04/2015 10:48:51

Supposed I am biased, because I am a CD on the evening 2.4 line and one of the BMFA staff - so I get a campsite pass, etc.

Still, I've been on caraven sites before with my caravan and been charged £25 per night - out of season! I believe the caravan site charges £45 per night per van plus extras such as awning, etc...

By the way, Phil, if you're the Phil Green I know, don't forget your BMFA insurance this year at the evening 2.4, and I can let you fly. smiley

In my view if you are going for the full event - arrive Friday night, leave Monday afternoon - the camping is excellent value. For that one payment you get the camp plot and entry to the event for all three days. Excellent value.

But its a fixed price - you pay exactly the same if you go for one night - hence why it seems expensive.

But if you think about it do they (the origanisers ie the BMFA) really have a choice? By doing it this way the gate can be fairly informally "policed" - if like me (I have the family with me) you have to come and go, out for a bit of shopping, a take-away, a meal in a local restaurant etc., then its great that yoU can do just that - come and go with no fuss. If there were daily rates it would be much more complex.

Also I think its fair to say that most campers go for at least two nights, usually three - people who just go for one day tend not to camp.

So, I'd vote for the system to stay as it is. Yes I appreciate that it is a bit tough on the small number who only camp for maybe one night, but on the other hand it is to the great advantage of the majority who camp 2 or 3 nights!

BEB

• 1 month later...

To charge for three nights over a bank holiday weekend is not unusual Many popular caravan sites are already fully booked for the August bank holiday

some sites do not even permit single night bookings if it would result in "blocking" a whole week.

Whilst frustrating if you only want one or two nights but it's understandable from a business point of view. Some good points have also beeen made why it's understandable for the BFMA