Best home made tool

Advert

It's not exactly a tool, and I did crib it from a jeweller friend..Hanging from my building board, just in front of where I sit, I have a plastic bag, with a bit of wire looped inside to hold it open. Anything that falls of the board, is neatly caught in it

A magnetic board sounds great. but they cost a fortune, dont' they?...........Maybe I could make one..wee magnets are cheap enough  hhhhhm

ernie

i have always struggled to mill foam / balsa to a specific depth, the abundanceof foam models with poor excuses for ply parts (expecially undercarriages) has meant I've had to hack into the foam to add reinforcing plates, well no more after trawling google I found various ideas and pulled the attached together, 15mm pvc pipe (DIY store) and some corex (for sale sign) is all you need... oh and a dremel ...

http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/30943/elear1.jpg

http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/30943/elear2.jpg

http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/30943/elear5.jpg

Ernie

The most expensive part of my magnetic building board was £30 for 100 ferrite block magnets. I picked up an off-cut of 1.5mm sheet steel for £10 which is fixed onto a sheet of 19mm MDF £15. The jig components are just a series of set-squares cut from offcuts of 6mm ply with Neodym magnets epoxied to the base.

The only drawback is the weight, with all the magnets jigs,and clamps stuck to it plus numerous rules and straight edges, it's bl**dy heavy!

Good old ebay is a good source of magnets if you want to take the plunge.

My inspiration

best bit of tool ive got is a hammer and a peice of wood ? when im building and i do somethng stupid to my build and get a bit stressed i pick the hammer up and clout the bit of wood  bl--dy hard /its saved my model that im building loads of time try it youll love it could do with a tree hug now ohhhhhhhhh

• 2 weeks later...

One of the best home made tools i have seen must be my cousin's tool for pumping up hydrolastic suspension, e mk2 cortina clutch slave cylinder, a home made wooden box and a baby's milk tin for the tank. I have used it for years, much cheaper than taking a Metro, Ambassador, etc to the local leyland / Rover shop !!!

The title did say "Best home made tool "

Chris

• 6 months later...

Hi All,

I built this in 1978, and it's probably time to build another. It's a twin blade balsa stripper. the top plate slides and is locked by the wing nuts on the bolts running in the slots. The two blades are locked by the three wood srews on the front. It's simply a shelving board sawn along the length with the off cut screwed back on with the 3 wood screws to trap the blades. The blades are adjustable for hieght, and it will strip balsa fron 1/16" to 1 1/2" wide (1.5 to 38mm) for metric fans. Wouldn't be with out it. I use off cuts of balsa over the blades to stop stabbing myself when I pick it up ( the red near the blades is marker pen not my blood).

/sites/3/images/member_albums/26994/Twin_blade_balsa_stripper_%28Medium%29.JPG

/sites/3/images/member_albums/26994/Twin_blade_balsa_stripper_with_protected_blades_%28Medium%29.JPG

Cheers,

Chris.

Hi All,

Another simple tool, that does two jobs. Very handy for drilling small components rather than drilling your favorite building board. Also doubles as a full sheet sanding block. Ideal for trimming those built up fussies and wings. Again this ones seen better days ( circa 1983). I'm off to the shed top build another.

/sites/3/images/member_albums/26994/Full_sheet_sanding_drilling_block_%28Medium%29.JPG

/sites/3/images/member_albums/26994/full_sheet_sanding_block_%28Medium%29.JPG

Cheers,

Chris.