WASP 33A ESC programming help

I suspect I have an issue with the WASP 33A ESC in my pushycat. I acquired the ESC second-hand (hence no instructions) some time ago and it's performed faultlessly for over 200 flights so far.

But last weekend it started "stuttering" when opening the throttle. Motor speed would increase until about 2/3 throttle was reached, it would then start the stuttering - surging up and down in speed about once or twice a second. I suspect the timing may have somehow got reset.

I've drawn a blank so far trying to find the specific instructions for this ESC. I've tried some of the 'generic' instructions on setting up via the throttle stick, but don't seem to be getting any sensible responses.

I have a new motor and ESC on order from a supposedly reliable UK-based supplier, but apart from an automated response email in the early hours of Tuesday morning I haven't heard a dickey-bird from them or received the order yet. So back to 'plan A' and see if I can reset the ESC.

So - anybody got the instructions?

Advert

OK, tried a new ESC and exactly the same symptoms - regardless of the timing settings I tried. And I'm now driving the throttle setting from a wattmeter, so that eliminates any 'funnies' with the tx or rx. It must be the motor - it was rather warm after a bit of testing...

Whilst I was out this morning the post office kindly delivered me a "while you were out" card. Hopefully the package I need to sign for is the new motor and (another) new ESC from the supposedly reliable UK-based supplier mentioned earlier. Might have been nice if I'd had a rough idea when it was going to arrive... I'll pick it up from the sorting office on Monday morning.

Hi John, I have one of those wasp ESC's in a motor glider and had problems setting up the brake[not the same as other ESC's] until someone put up instructions on this site,but have since lost track where.Perhaps they will come back again on reading this. Stuttering is often a result of poor contact in one of the motor feeds. John.

Thanks Vaughan, but unfortunately that's a different Wasp! Wasp is/was an "own-brand" of BRC Hobbies.

I flew the pushycat again this afternoon and am certain it's a motor issue - possibly a winding intermittently shorting. At times it was fine, at other times it sounded like an under-compressed model diesel engine! Hopefully the motor that is sitting at the post office waiting for me to pick up will solve the problem.

Not sure about the branding of the ESC that you mention Pete. Here are my ESC and motor.

2015-04-12 01.03.08.jpg

2015-04-12 01.02.47.jpg

Please excuse dodgy phone pics - I'm not about to get the SLR out and photoshop the results - at least not at 1am when there's a Grand Prix in the morning to get up early for!

I acquired them s/hand attached to a 'Slipstream' (Zagi-type model that I now fly off the slope) when I bought my first pushycat from a club member who was selling off some surplus models. He probably got the motor and ESC as a 'combo'.

John,

Have responded to the PM.

My ESC came as a combo from BRC along with motor which was a 2217-8T 1100Kv. Hi model.

Think the problem might be more of a fundamental issue with the ESC. Had something similar with the ESC in my Wot 4 (including the motor reversing direction in flight, which was entertaining). Changed the ESC and motor was fine and done lots of flights since.

Heatsink had come away from the rest of ESC and I guess the ESC had overheated and failed. Consigned to bin.

Hope you get sorted

Paul