Glass Slipper

Martyn K

I haven't weighed it yet, but it feels quite light, I'll weigh it and do some sums. I did calculate the wing and tail area to work out the TVC, its fairly easy to do in CAD anyway. It will definitely need a little nose weight but at the moment, - as you see it, its balancing about 25mm forward from the TE - which I think is a pretty good indication on how light the fuselage is.

I think that the lead loaded joiner will be required. Good idea about adding a little reflex, I never thought about that

M

Edited By Martyn K on 06/10/2015 10:31:15

Advert

This lunchtime I have weighed the components so far:

Fuselage 312g
Left Wing 251g (including servos)
Right Wing 247g (including servos)
Radio Gear 170g (Rx, 2 Servos, battery)
Wing joiner 65g
Est Glass & Paint on Fus 50g
Est Wing Covering 20g
Est Noseweight 50g

Target AUW approx 1200g or 42 oz.

Wing Area - 364692 sq mm = 36.5 sq dm = 3.9 sq ft

Loading = 32g/sq dm or 10oz/sq ft

I think I have got the sums right. Not sure how that compares..

Any comments?

Martyn

PS - really pleased with those wing weights - only 4g difference..

Edited By Martyn K on 06/10/2015 13:08:02

• 2 weeks later...

Last couple of weeks have been slow - mainly fitting out, adding hard points and the rudder and painting the fuselage. Not many photos to show but I thought I would share these with you.

dscn2333.jpg

and

dscn2334.jpg

and underneath

dscn2335.jpg

Getting there. Radio and linkages and ballast etc to do, but very close

More to come

Martyn

• 1 month later...

I maidened the Glass Slipper last Sunday.

Ian Jones and I went up onto Bosley Cloud (near Congleton). The wind was flat calm at the foot of the hill so we were anticipating a wasted journey.

As we approached the trig point, we could see a couple of models already in the air and we were greeted by a 15mph North North Westerly.

Ian went first - he had brought a couple of foamies.

I assembled the model and pondered... and pondered.. and pondered (as you do before you maiden a new model) when one of the other fliers present picked the model up and said he would launch it. 5 seconds later it was airborne.

It needed 2 clicks of right and 2 clicks of down and it was flying straight and level. A tentative waggle of the aileron control to test the responsiveness and they seem OK (the ailerons look rather small) and by now - within a minutes it was probably about 100 feet up and well out from the slope. One of the benefits of a light wing loading and clean lines.

So I whipped it round for a couple of low passes.

pass1.jpg

and

pass2.jpg

Absolutely wonderful. I am still beaming now - 3 days later.

The flaps slowed the model up nicely with almost no change in trim. I never really got chance to try the variable camber control on this flight nor rudder response. I flew it for about 20 minutes, then I an took over for a while then I had another go for a while and eventually landed her after about 40 minutes. I went a bit too far back over the ridge and the model landed about 50-75m downwind in the heather - no damage. A very satisfied me at the end of that flight

Shortly after this, the wind dropped and the second flight shouldn't have happened but we launched into a breeze which went to zero after about 15 seconds and I had to land at the foot of the cliff. I clipped a rock and that resulted in some minor damage to the fuselage and a cracked canopy (replacement on the way).

However, its all back together again now and waiting for the next epic..

Thanks to Ian for the photos. He may pop along with some more later

Martyn

Hi Andy

Inverted was fine - holding just a little 'down' to keep the nose up, rolls were a bit barrelly but that is fixable with differential, loops were OK providing the model was S&L at the start otherwise it was inclined to screw out . TBH, the wind was dropping while we were flying so I was a bit nervous about losing too much height. Get the nose down and it is very quick though...

Now thinking about building a 3m version of it....

Martyn

Having had my hands on the sticks of Martyn's Glass Slipper I can confirm that it's a lovely model to fly. As it was a maiden flight and not my model I treated it due respect and didn't try anything adventurous but a loop, slowish roll, and climb followed by a wingover were all straight forward.

I saw Martyn last night and he still looked like this:

notabitpleased.jpg