Which future proof charger?

Yoda

Recently I brought a second hand Precision Aerobatics Extra 260 airframe. It needs a few repairs but will be perfectly serviceable. This will be my first electric plane and as such am going with the recommended power setup. but.... The batteries I am getting are Overlander 2200 3S 30C types and will need charging! I am not sure which charger to get. I have searched the forums here, and there is limited info on the subject that I can see. I am looking at the Ripmax Sigma EQ mini or the Powertech B606 as I thought there were relative new types and are probably fairly future proof.

I would appreciate any comments that might put me more at ease with the whole electric rats nest!

I'm certainly no electric guru, but my interpretation of "future proof" in this context would be to buy a charger with enough grunt to handle whatever size and set up you're likely to move up to in the short to medium term.

On the other hand, there are plenty of budget items that cater for your immediate 2200 3S needs that are really good value, and could still have a very useful place in your arsenal of kit, even if you do subsequently find a need to buy a more capable and expensive item

I use this

**LINK**

With a built in mains adaptor you can plug it in straight out of the box without needing a battery to supply it, and at 80W it parallel charges 3 of my 2200 3S packs at just under 1C

The item linked to in the post above is doubtless fine, but £70 is imo a lot to spend if you then either outgrow it, or find you don't actually need a lot of it's functions.

If you want to be future proof then look for a charger that supports LiHv. This is the new lithium technology that is just beginning to hit the shops. It charges to a slightly higher voltage than LiPo so needs a charger that can stretch to 4.35 volts.

Andrew

My only advice is don't buy a budget charger, buy the best you can afford. David Ashby reviewed one of these in a recent RCM&E. I have no experience of this product but if it was rubbish it would not have graces the pages of RCM&E. If you want to fly electric then get a decent charger, it will be a good investment and less frustrating than an 'economy' charger - (that is likely to burn your house down!).

Just my 2p worth!

Posted by Piers Bowlan on 19/04/2015 20:45:59:

an 'economy' charger - (that is likely to burn your house down!).

Really? First time I've heard that one

Leaving aside that we all know never to leave charging unattended, is there any evidence for the above? There must be an awful lot of the "B6" family of chargers out there.....

Any b6 charger is upto the job for the size of batteries you intend to use, if / WHEN you get hooked on elec you may wish to buy a dearer one.

you need one with a power supply either inbuilt or separate

you pay your money and make your choice, there are loads of options available

if you can afford one that charges more than one at once, then that is what i would go for

Posted by Piers Bowlan on 19/04/2015 20:45:59:

My only advice is don't buy a budget charger, buy the best you can afford. David Ashby reviewed one of these in a recent RCM&E. I have no experience of this product but if it was rubbish it would not have graces the pages of RCM&E. If you want to fly electric then get a decent charger, it will be a good investment and less frustrating than an 'economy' charger - (that is likely to burn your house down!).

Just my 2p worth!

Recently Piers? That was 2008 smile

I would like to thank every one who suggested various chargers. I have decided on one that will do what I need for now with spare capacity but not necessarily future proof with relation to LiHv. I have gone for the Junsi iCharger208B 350W 20A from Nexus models. Some may think it a bit pricey but it should do for a while!!

Thank you again for your advice. Mike.