BMFA National Centre

kc

Advert

I can not understand some of the negative comments aimed at something designed to improve the image of toy aeroplane modeling, as has been said this may well be the first of more, a Scottish/north centre may well be a good idea in future, as may be a southern area, but unless the first one is done you cant have a second or third,

all of us as BMFA members pay to support many disciplines that the vast majority of us don't partake in, we send teams to compete all over the world in everything from FF to C/L to RC scale so we all support 10 or 12 people for these comps yet at the first mention of something for us all to use, at no cost to us, people turn into Victor Meldrew!!

I hear people say " I wont use it so I don't want it!!!!! I live in the Midlands and I may well use it, I also use other land that the BMFA have agreed with the owners for us to use, I slope soar off Nat Trust land and MOD land, so if others don't do we have to get rid of that too!!

its about time we started to act and think like a community of like minded people doing things for the collective good of modeling rather than hiding away in a corner until someone comes along and tells us to "get orf my land", then asking the BMFA for help!

chris

I live about an hour from Leicester and it's not far from Lightning Preservation Trust when I go down.

I can't understand why some people are so negative either. Bit selfish, really, just because it's too far or doesn't interest some. ( I know some people who go to the club, have a couple of flights, not interested in any one else or their models, never go to shows, swapmeets or support any thing within the model world, and just go home until the next time.

These people are boring, and usually only comment when it affects them. Shame, really, but that is life and some humans are content with being themselves to themselves.

Diluting the available funds to provide a flying field in every county would achieve very little, as there are already clubs in each county ergo there are already flying fields in every county, it would create a rare old bun fight if one clubs field was purchased by the BMFA and maintained and improved by them - why that club and not mine would be the cry!! - Also it would have no impact on the profile of the hobby externally.

Far better to create something that is a showcase for model aeronautics, can host events in style and provide top rate facilities for shows, comps and who knows what else (conferences, film locations etc) - that WOULD improve the image and presence of the hobby - and why shouldn't a National Centre host other modelling type events - no need to restrict it to RC flying - if the facilities are right then organisations like IPMS etc could hold events there - its all good revenue into the BMFA

elvington seems about the best place for a bmfa centre could have bought it years ago, i was told its not wide enough for free flight?????? been going to the nats for years a lot of f/f models go out of the boundry of the airfield so whats the difference .ELVINGTON not far of the motorway routes, has its own canteen and toilet facilites and a bit of a museum to boot also the longest runway in england im told price in the nineties £ 1,000,000, A BARGIN and we missed the boat?????????

What have you got against a Poll here on Modelflying? Are you worried it might show lack of support for this scheme!

My point about a field in each county was to suggest a better way to invest the money in a diversifed way and minimise risk while providing facilities for more members.

If the Centre is used for conferences and films etc it won't be much use to BMFA members!

Anbody with any experience of model aircraft knows that just one noise complaint can stop a perfect field from being used for power models. There is hardly anywhere in England that is far enough from even just one house that it won't suffer noise complaints. So it is pointless buying a field. Build a museum there and you cannot just move away to another field. Building a Museum will provoke even more local outcry than just flying there. Its a non starter. A white elephant! A waste of members money.

Still a lot of water to flow under the bridge before a National Centre becomes a reality and although I'm in favour, I feel that the chance of it coming to fruition remains unlikely for a variety of reasons.

However, assuming that if, against the odds, it does get going, has any thought been given to how the facility might be used by ordinary members?

If you're lucky enough to live close by, will it effectively be another club site to use as and when one feels like it? Would those that are in the anti camp feel better if members were charged to use the site - say between five or ten pounds a day? I live about ninety minutes drive from the proposed site, so I wouldn't be a regular user, but would be very happy to pay to use a decent runway and /or have the occasional weekend away with the caravan.

I don't know how many members live within an easy distance of the proposed NC, but I can understand the ill feeling of some who will view those that will 'fill their boots' by using the facility (especially when retired like me) and be there seven days a week if their 'other halves' let them. Maybe I've got it wrong, and its just intended to be inhabited by competition types practicing for world champs and a place to hold the Nats etc.

Edited By Cuban8 on 01/05/2015 17:03:43