DH88 - I can rebuild her!

Just to show that something does happen every now and again, here's today's installment.

Yesterday I found time to pop over to Breakwells Paints to get some colour matched to the DH88. The idea was to buy some ready for the day I can start painting.

Well you know when you get that irresistible urge? The one where you know you shouldn't be doing it, you're not ready but you just do it anyway?

I just found myself having a play with the paint.
I'm right at the start of the airbrush learning, so am pretty pleased with the result.
It is only painted back to a slanyed panel line, so you can see how good the match is.

And then of course we have to see the full effect..

Advert

Many thanks everyone.

That bit of red paint has spurred me on no end
Quite a bit of prep for painting going on today.
Engine covers were also stabilised (very thin glass fibre that had torn a lot) and brought close to the right shape. Nothing to see really so no photos.

Edited By Chris Bott on 03/09/2011 23:08:02

Blasted Comet has decided to fight back.
The small matter of the crumpled and torn engine covers.

Most of the jobs on this rebuild have been worried about for a while, and then I've attacked them with a "just get on with it" attitude and all has turned out OK.
These flippin things, well one of them really, has had other ideas.

They seem to be a very thin glass fibre part made of a single piece of woven cloth with a white gel coat and red paint. So thin that the really don't hold their shape unless fixed to the model.
The crash tore the screw holes, tore other gashes in them and crumpled them a little. So I attacked them with my patented (should be) technique of pink zap and skinning cloth on the inside, building up the screw hole areas with extra layers.

However, when I started flatting the outsides down, one went OK except for revealing a couple of creases that needed reinforcing flat, but the other - flippin eck!
As soon as I started with the wet n dry it was clear that there were cracks in the gel coat. If I'd left these cracks then any amount of painting would have cracked again. So I bit the bullet and sanded off the gel coat on the cracked side. That was a difficult job as I was getting down to the cloth an a few areas. That done, a coat of skinning resin was put on the outside. That does seem to have cured the problem, but this component wasn't finished with me. Having done so much work on the *** thing, holding it, sanding it etc, of course the other side was now showing a few cracks, and the more I rubbed near those cracks, the more appeared!

So now here we are, second side rubbed right back. This time with the help of a Dremmel. I'm now thinking it may have been quicker to make some new engine covers.

This is the second side ready for it's skinning resin replacement surface.

Thanks for listening. Apologies if this post was too long for what it's worth. But it's been very good therapy to write it down, so thanks all

Many thanks gents. Pete you're absolutely right, satisfaction is proportional to difficulty.
Great positive spin, just when i needed it.

(If it was a more important part then I wouldn't mind the effort )
Another positive is that I had to mix far more resin than necessary just to see the mix ratio, so some as yet undecided reinforcement to the fus underside behind the wing has been completed too.

Another little setback, but I guess it's better found at this stage.

The floppy ABS fus skin, from the wing L/E rearwards has only been repaired, inside only, with skinning cloth and cyano. While this appeared strong enough, when I apply pressure with wet n dry the odd crack has opened up in the outside surface.

This one requires glassing on the inside I think and then filling on the outside again.
I've already rubbed it down to the ABS.

I'm also finding the ABS too floppy to do a full smooth reshape as I fill and sand, so it looks like the fus is going to end up with some ripples in it. I must be careful, or I'll sand away too much where the formers are and less everywhere else.

• 2 weeks later...
I've had a hectic week, 42 hrs at work by Thurs evening, Fri and Sat revolved around 3 kids and 3 different universities. We've bought a car and sold another and I've fixed some faults on the new (to us) one.
So today I was quite surprised to get an hour or two on the Comet just as the clouds separated and the sun came out.

Due to time constraints and the dark and damp approaching, only one side has been done. But that hasn't stopped me posing her for yet another "photo of inspiration"

Caught a bit of dry still daylight this evening after work. We are all red now

Time will tell if it dries patchy or needs the odd touch up. But this paint seems to lend it's self perfectly to re-painting problem areas and blending in well. (thank goodness)

Photo is pre polish, I'll have to wait till the end of the week to do that.

Hi Chris....great looking rebuild...you must be really proud.....

I've been having some ABS/glue interface issues also....might be a bit late now but some interesting stuff on this thread regarding flexible cyano glues from the guy who runs 5 Star adhesives....

Edited By Steve Hargreaves on 27/09/2011 10:17:29

Yes just a tad late Steve but thanks. Because I was but joining very thin ABS at effectively perfect joints, the tape on the outside with pink zap wicked in from the inside worked well. I had skinning cloth in place inside too while I was applying the zap, that has added some strength.

I really rate the 5 star adhesives dopes. Very clear in colour and show no signs of cracking whatsoever with age. So if their cyano is of the same quality then it will be very good.

I have also used fibre glass tissue (cor body repair stuff) & cyano to repai/strengthen plastic mouldings & it does work extremely well.....the process is extremely exothermic however....even discolouring the paint on the outer surface

Good luck with the maiden of the repaired model...... That will be a nerve-racking time methinks!!!