Building a Search and Rescue fixed wing platform

Daniel Baldwin

Advert

I don't understant why this plane has to be so big.

In the 80s the Nature Conservancy COuncil had a 60" span model designed to be carried in a 36 X 14 X 14 " box. IT was designe to carry a Canon Autofocus camera and was powered by a .40 A bit more wing area and it could have carried an SLR.

The idea was that it could carried across country by walkers, assembled and hand launched to photograph anything of interest.

I would be surprised if modern FPV equipment is really so huge that it needs such a big model.

I have also seen film of aircraft being hand launched by American soldiers for immediate recconaissance.

Posted by Peter Miller on 08/05/2015 18:24:31:

I don't understant why this plane has to be so big.

In the 80s the Nature Conservancy COuncil had a 60" span model designed to be carried in a 36 X 14 X 14 " box. IT was designe to carry a Canon Autofocus camera and was powered by a .40 A bit more wing area and it could have carried an SLR.

The idea was that it could carried across country by walkers, assembled and hand launched to photograph anything of interest.

I would be surprised if modern FPV equipment is really so huge that it needs such a big model.

I have also seen film of aircraft being hand launched by American soldiers for immediate recconaissance.

Of even something along these lines.. **LINK**

There's a budget? Oh right missed the price point it had to come in under...I guess you either want to save lives and spend some money, or you dont.

Note the RQ14 has 2 cameras plus FLIR in something that weighs what...5 kilos? Quite agree tho Pete, with petrol power it needn't be so heavy now.

We dont know what type of "search and rescue" we are discussing, if its mountain rescue, then they operate as individual charities and lead a very hand to mouth existence, however at the beginning of the OP did mention a restricted budget.

And whatever funds the organisation has will always be subject to competing priorities, a Landy + Trailer + Catapult + UAV OR waterproof clothing for the search teams, a new stretcher or upto date radio equipment - sorry but thats the real world

I guess you either want to pay the tax to save a life or you dont....

One thing I don't understand is the need. Police/military helicopters carry thermal cameras. In a person search before they die job, these lads fly in conditions where a model will not last 10 seconds. And I for one would not like to fly a model in strange hill country, in anything other than calm conditions. Slope soarer boys are going to be a lot better, but I bet they also know when to stop flying better. And they have a lot do stick time. But good luck with your ambition.

Posted by Andy Meade on 08/05/2015 19:15:51:
Quite right chap - life is very precious and it deserves considerable funding. Look at all those air ambulances that are run on public donations alone!

Well clearly you will be happy to sub this endeavour then?

Now girls - pull your claws back in wink 2

There is something to be said for making it a bit smaller I think. Peter is dead right, a modern video transmitter etc. is pretty small, and the FLIR thermal camera is quite small too. The endurance verses weight argument can work a bit more in your favour if you make it a bit smaller - especially with something with a (2m or so) high aspect ratio very efficient wing with a low wing loading - usually called a "glider"!

Slim low drag fuselage, still petrol powered but the real grunt only being needed to climb - being able to fly on a low throttle setting. With that combination an hour of "stooging around" should be possible I think.

BEB