The good things in life ....

avtur

I saw this on another forum and thought it was a great idea... so have a think about it and let’s say what is good about life… there is far too much talk about what’s bad .. so come on let’s talk about what is good… I’m sure there is plenty to say … here is my starter ….

First, and most important … I'm still alive at 59 ...

Being made redundant two years ago ... was a blessing in disguise ... lucky that I had 20 years service

Within months of redundancy I suffered a heart attack which made me re-evaluate my life ... which was a good outcome because I listened to the doctors ...

Sort of retired … well I receive a modest private pension so I set up my own business ... consultancy in what I've done for the past 25 years.

I have a beautiful wife for the last 31 years ... and two daughters both successfully through Uni ...

I have a choice of 7 models to fly whenever I have the time, my club field is only 3 miles away.

Driving my Triumph Spitfire ... have owned it for four years ... 5000 miles ... only ever driven with the roof down ...

I can't complain about anything in my life now ... by heck I'm lucky ...

Advert

A good idea for a thread avtur!

Only snag is, I would write almost exactly the same as you - my status is almost identical, scary!

I could offer you some advise to improve the situation even further.........

a) Sell the Spitfire and get something decent - ie a Moggy van which transports your models to the field also

b) Get some more models cheeky

Look forward to seeing how this thread develops

This is spooky,

I was made redundant 2 years ago and like you it was the best thing that could have happened to me. Got a new job in one month before they even paid out the money for 35 years service.

Two months after that got a big cheque from the taxman which was very nice.

I am still breathing at 60 have a sports car as well as the model wagon and have been married to my wonderful wife for 39 years.

Have loads of models to choose from depending on the weather.

Have just taken over a new ATC Squadron which is the biggest in the Wing.

Enjoy Flying, Fishing, Shooting.

Life is just great at the moment and plan to enjoy it.smiley

Took voluntary redundancy / early retirement three years ago at age 55. Have no credit card bills, loans, mobile contracts or mortgage to finance so with my modest pension and my wife working part-time in the NHS, we're doing OK.

I can do what I like when I like (within reason), have more time for my family and young grandson- and naturally when the weather permits, fly my models to my hearts content.

I'm very much of this "club" too!

Had somewhat of a rubbish life in the UK from 1996 - 2006 after a divorce and all the associated shennanigins.

Then, I moved to Spain in 2007 after meeting a wonderful Spanish senorita. She encouraged me to re-engage with aeromedelling and I'm more or less living the dream now, give or take a few caveats.

I'm 57 this month and I also suffered a heart attack 18 months ago. From that day I stopped being a smoker and the money which would have gone on fags now funds my hobby. I currently have around 15 flyable models and fly regularly at my local club which has truly excellent facilities ( see my video in the video thread). I've also made many new friends and almost learnt how to speak Spanish.

After years as a teacher of Design and Technology in the UK, I now work part-time in an English Academy teaching English. The salary isn't great but along with my better half we have enough to live reasonably comfortably without having to worry about finances. And, as I'm only part-time I have plenty of time to fly and enjoy other aspects of the hobby and life in general.

Steve.

Talking about things which give you great pleasure in life, I was Interested to hear about your Spitfire Avatur, I had one of the last Mk3s produced, until a few years ago. It was pretty ropey when I bought and had to rebuild much it during the seven years I had it, something I enjoyed very much indeed but the time and money spent on it wasn't exactly good for domestic harmony.

However, after much soul searching I advertised it on Ebay and was contacted by a British chap living in Germany who asked if he flew to the UK, would the car get him home. As it turned out he was a pilot working for DHL making regular trips into East Midlands Airport. I replied saying that I had only driven as far as Penarth near Cardiff, about 10 miles away, so a trip across France into Germany was in the lap of the Gods.

To cut a long story short, he turned up with the cash and drove the car away. A few days later I had an email from to say he had arrived home safely and that his wife loved the car. I must have done something right and that put a great big smile on my face

Edited By Dai Fledermaus on 20/05/2015 08:52:39