electromagnetic naval gun firing at over mach 6

mightypeesh

Advert

And note the makers name on the barrel..... BAE....

But if you look at the slo-mo of the projectile going down the range, you can see it starting to tumble already - that does not bode well for range or accuracy in operational use

Edited By Dave Hopkin on 23/05/2015 12:30:23

Posted by Dave Hopkin on 23/05/2015 12:30:07:

But if you look at the slo-mo of the projectile going down the range, you can see it starting to tumble already - that does not bode well for range or accuracy in operational use

I disagree: the first firing does indeed tumble, but that seems to be a brick-like lump. The later shots (with the sabot and central dart projectile) punch a straight line of holes in the target plates.

If the USN are actually deploying it in a trials vessel then the concept must have legs.

Pete

Edited By Dizz on 23/05/2015 15:06:13

Posted by Dizz on 23/05/2015 15:05:09:
Posted by Dave Hopkin on 23/05/2015 12:30:07:

I disagree: the first firing does indeed tumble, but that seems to be a brick-like lump. The later shots (with the sabot and central dart projectile) punch a straight line of holes in the target plates.

If the USN are actually deploying it in a trials vessel then the concept must have legs.

Pete

Edited By Dizz on 23/05/2015 15:06:13

Beg you pardon - I should have watched ALL of the vid!!!!

Indeed the Fin Stabllised Discarding Sabot round does fly straight and true......

I wonder how much power it needs to create the magnetic field to launch that and what the recharge interval is

a friend of mine was involved in one of the initial trials of such a weapon , they apparently used lots and lots of 24 dc volt lorry batteries,( thousands ) , This was to produce the necessary enormouse electromotive force.

Unfortunately the test building was a steel shell , On firing the building collapsed and looked like a vacuum formed cover of the apparatus , It took 3months to dig it all out and examine the hardware , Magnetism can be very strong !!

All personel were safe inside a bunker a large distance away .

cheers

Posted by ben goodfellow 1 on 23/05/2015 17:49:53:

i was reading about these not so long ago . the majpr hurdle is power , apperntly not many ships are capable of suppling the silly power some times over a 100 mega watts they need

But they are using a pulse power system, they charge up (super?) capacitors and then release the very large amounts of energy required over a few milliseconds and then recharge it. At the end of this video the guy said that to fire one round used the same energy as 12 doughnuts but released over 10 milliseconds or so.

LeoPosted by Pete Willbourn on 23/05/2015 17:20:21:

a friend of mine was involved in one of the initial trials of such a weapon , they apparently used lots and lots of 24 dc volt lorry batteries,( thousands ) , This was to produce the necessary enormouse electromotive force.

Unfortunately the test building was a steel shell , On firing the building collapsed and looked like a vacuum formed cover of the apparatus , It took 3months to dig it all out and examine the hardware , Magnetism can be very strong !!

All personel were safe inside a bunker a large distance away .

cheers

Pete that was a bad day for some Engineers I;m sure but it sure was funny!

Leo