Unable to bind?

Ryan Williams

I'm happy to get rid of the 35mhz and completely start again with more modern bits as advised. I'm also happy to go to a club if I can get a reply from an email which I'm sure I will at some point. I'll keep you updated as to my progress. Nothing would please me more than a visit to a club to get my models flying.

I'm on the case with the connections, new battery on it's way and a new charger aswell by the sounds of it. (By the way I do know the charger DOES work because it's charging other models up and showing a green light.

Is conductive glue ok to use? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Conductive-Wire-Glue-Paint-NO-Soldering-Iron-Gun-Solder-UK-SELLER-/320599571856?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4aa5393d90

Could you suggest a different radio set up please? I'd like this plane to work and work safely..

I have no permission to fly anywhere yet. I realise the potential for injury, that's why I'm here asking questions and not out making sausages out of passers by...

Hopefully I can get a one off club visit or something happening. As long as there's some progress I'm happy. I'm not really well enough to just join a club. My hope is to be able to learn enough to get them both working safely and then in the air at some point after that. I can't attend regular meetings at a club because my health won't allow it. I'm hoping, tiny little goal as it is, to be able to fly something now and then when pain levels allow. When they do I will be alone and without any transport. Even though that is the case I have pushed this far on the dream of flying a plane and helicopter somehow...somewhere. The build itself was reason enough to continue last summer. It gave me a little goal to work toward and almost felt like life again. Almost.. Flying will be much better. If I can get there with a little help...

Advert

I wanted to achieve this because it's dynamic and the learning curve is steep. So it's fun and can never get old. I figured if I could learn to fly something that's really capable of some impressive moves I'd always have a reason to get excited about looking out of the window for most of each day... :D

Personally I wouldnt touch "solder glue" with a bargepole, you are dealing with small point joints carrying 20+ amps - fact of life if you are going to fly electric learning to solder is a mandatory skill - its not that hard and there are loads of YouTubes on it.

35Mhz works and will carry on working but there are issues with it and electrical noise generated within the ESC and Motor which 2.4 is far far more immune too,

There are many good quality 2.4 sets on the market and every flyer will tell you theirs is the best... in reality they all offer fantastic reliability and value for money, again if your going the club route see what they mostly use and follow that lead so you have a pool of expertise on hand to ask. But Spektrum, Futaba, HiTek, Taranis, etc are all good - but think of the on-going cost you will need more RX's so thats a consideration

If you can get a 6+ channel set rather than a 4, as you will soon outgrow a 4 channel set

And a note of safety - take the prop off the motor - no ifs or buts just do it! I still have the scars on my arm to remind me to do it

Posted by Ryan Williams on 29/05/2015 17:29:18:

Could you suggest a different radio set up please? I'd like this plane to work and work safely..

You mentioned earlier that you had a Futaba T6J transmitter (for the TRex). So the easiest way forwards for the fixed-wing model (assuming your T6J works) would be to get a suitable receiver to use in it with the T6J. Something like this. Or alternatively, temporarily "borrow" the receiver from the TRex and put it in the fixed-wing model!

Posted by Dave Hopkin on 29/05/2015 11:08:56:

Ryan

If the Lipo cells are as you say they are you have not balanced charged them correctly or the Lipo is on the way out

Looking at the photo of the charger you linked to, it seems to charge through the balance leads - how long did you charge it for? Did you totally flatten the Lipo before hand (if so you have probably killed it), what power supply are you using for the charger (it needs to be a steady state power supply not a car battery charger)

I'm using a mains 12v plug that can with it. I've charged it for six hours but it didn't seem right so I've stopped trying to charge it after reporting here on the state of each cell.  If I'm charging wrongly that could be the problem.. I'll have a look at the details on the plug.. No I didn't flatten it, this battery has never been used because it's just for the plane. New battery on the way. I'll read up and check in here before charging it.... Cheers :D

I have a 12v plug in science class type power source. Come to think of it that's what I was using to charge the little batteries on my practice c.p. heli... 

Edited By Ryan Williams on 30/05/2015 10:04:22

Ryan, and others, why not try inserting your links into posts properly?

Highlight a word in your post that you'd like clickable, then simply click the button above the posting box that looks like a globe with chain links. Pop the web address in the form that comes up and you're done.

Likewise with youtube vids, just press the youtube button and follow the instructions there. OK this is a little more involved as you need the Embed code from the youtube page, but it's not difficult.

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 30/05/2015 11:36:45

Ryan

Just a word of warning. The charger you are using is the simplest type. .It does balance charge but it struggles if the cells ever get much out of balance. The problem is you have no way of knowing if this is happening. I have two and one of them has a habit of not balance charging properly to the detriment of the LIPo.

A much better bet is the "B6" type It has a display that tells you exactly what is going on and gives the individual cell voltages as it is charges. It can also charge just about any type of battery unless you get into the really big high capacity ones.

I actually use the cheaper 'clone' version. It works just as well. wink 2

How to do everything on the forum is in this section, Ryan. You don't use the web address for a youtube video. Briefly, go to the Youtube page, click on 'Share', then 'Embed'. Copy the iFrame address that is highlighted in blue and paste it into the box that comes up when you click the Youtube button on the forum reply field.

That should insert a white box with 'iFrame' in red in the centre.

When you post the reply, that should show the video embedded in the post thumbs up

Pete