Downloading of Malcolm Holt's Futaba 14SG book

Adrian Smith 1

Amazon had sent a mail saying that i should solve the problem with online chat. I then clicked the link they have provided but i had to explain the problem. I thpught they would knpw it because og the link. The guy transfered me to some other guy who transfered me to another and another. I chatted with Almost 10 people all thought a superior guy can help. The last guy after writing his first sentence about how happy he will be about helping me and his next line is that he cannot help me because of a technical problem. Crazy. I will restart in the weekend.

Can someone inform me as to what DG1 and DG2 stand for and what do they do? the little icons on the Servo page, switch on and off from SD and SR dont know dont know the Futaba manual dosn't say anything about them, I have your book Malcom, but I am hoping that an answer from here will be quicker than hours locating any info on Kindle

Cheers

Barry

They are the two digital channels on Channels 13 and 14. You can assign any control to them and moving this simply moves a connected servo to +100 or -100. There is no proportional control.

You cannot assign any Function so they cannot be programmed in any way. For example, they do not have adjustable end points. They are useful for operating devices which require a simple on/off switch or controls which do not require fine-tuning of the end points e.g. a glider tow-release.

I don't actually think they are mentioned in the book as they are not programmable but I'll add a short paragraph in the next edition for the sake of completeness.

P.S. Although it would not have helped on this occasion, do not forget the search facility on Kindle and Kindle Apps. You can type in any word or phrase and it will immediately give you all the references with quick-links. It is much easier than trawling through the whole book or Futaba manual.

Thanks Malcom, Ahhh, at least I know now, can they be turn off or reassigned to a different switch?? Iv'e had a fiddle but they stayed put.

Will you be putting another addition of the book out soon.???

I am setting up a 4 flap model, ( He-100 ) is it possible to have the 2 outer ones on 1 channel with 2 rates and the inner ones on another, with 2 rates ?????

Thanks you are a great help

Barry.

You can use any stick, switch, dial, slider or trim to operate DG1 and DG2. Just go to screen 4/4 of the Function Menu and reassign the controls in the usual way. You can turn them off by setting their controls to null (- -) but why would you want to? You cannot assign their channels to any other functions.

Each time Futaba update the radio's software I produce a new edition of the book to reflect any changes. The updated edition is available free of charge to existing owners. Make sure your Kindle account is set to receive automatic updates. I also incorporate additions and improvements. Any suggestions are welcome. If the additions warrant it, I will produce a new edition even if Futaba do not upgrade the radio, though I have no immediate plans to do so.

If you select a 4-flap wing type you can enter different values for the inner and outer flaps in all the appropriate menus (Dual Rate, Flap Set, Camber Mix, Airbrake, Trim Mix). I am not clear exactly what you are trying to do but, if you need help, please ask.

Cymaz, ya can almost buy a s/h 9c for the same amount.

Malcolm, my idea in regards to the 4 flaps is precautionary, I'm no sure what effect these flaps will affect the model on landing, if I use 2 switches I can control the process, any help would be very grateful.

I want to set the inner flaps to SD at 15% step 1 and 80% step 2, the same %'s for the outer flaps on SA????

Yep for the moment I've assigned DG 1 and 2 to the slider switches, thanks

I'll check my Kindle account for update capabilities

Cheers

Barry

I always knew that modelling gear was much cheaper in the USA. Amazon UK is selling AnnMarie’s book for £799.45. To be fair to them, if you are prepared to put up with a second-hand copy, it is a snip at only £699.68. Now to the matter in hand.

Assuming you have selected a 4-flap wing type, go to the Function Menu and assign SD to FLAP. It will automatically control the linked FLAP2 so do not assign any control there. Similarly assign SA to FLAP3 which also controls FLAP4.

Disconnect the flap linkages. Move SD and you will see the inner flap servos move between three positions. You now need to connect the inner flaps so that they are fully raised when SD is in the up position and lowered as far as you will ever need them to go when SD is in the down position. Experiment with different clevis positions on the flap horns and servo arms. If necessary you can fine tune with the End Point menu.

Now go to the Dual Rate menu and select FLAP. Switch SD fully down and you will see the inner flaps lower fully. At the top of the dual rate screen adjust the left-hand +100 value to +60 and you will see the flaps rise slightly. Adjust the value to give the maximum downward flap movement you require.

Now put SD in its mid position. On the Dual Rate screen change the NT (neutral point) value to +60. Again you can adjust this value to give the desired intermediate flap position.

Now repeat the above process with the outer flaps. In the Dual Rate menu you will need to select FLAP3 and, of course, move switch SA.

There are other ways of setting up flaps which give more options but this method is pretty straightforward.

Info on setting up SB with a 7008sb

Now I'm not sure about this SB thingo crook, I see that there are 2 SB ports on the RX, one for SB HV servo's and the other for telemetary sensors

How do I go about using SB1 port to add servo numbers to the RX e.g. # ch 8 to 14 on the TX?? dont know

All help most appreciated

Cheers

BArry

Malcolm thanks for the reply, I possibly havn.t explained my questions clear enough, I am wishing to use the SBus ports on my R7008sb, but I am not sure what is needed to purchase and "set up" the whole thing, the Futaba book is not very comprehensive, and your manual dosn't go through that process, perhaps in some future update that could be added.

There is so much in this TX that it becomes mind boggling,, for us older ones face 22

Cheers

Barry

Barry. I suggest you contact Ripmax for advice on the best peripheral equipment to buy for your particular setup. My book specifically addresses the programming of the transmitter. Advising on the purchase of additional equipment is beyond its scope. To do a decent job of this would require that I buy the whole range of receivers, SBus hubs, connectors, programmers, gyros, servos, sensors etc for which I have no personal use.

• 1 month later...

HI Malcom, I would like to set up my Whirlwind ( twin) using a slider as a slave to the throttle stick, I am thinking, if there is any difference in the motors or ESC's I can compensate that with a slider.

The manual does not explain how to do it, can you help please dont know

Thanks

Barry

Edited By A.A. Barry on 04/11/2015 03:31:17

Barry, I am happy to try to help but need to be clear on what exactly you wish to be able to do. Do you want to increase the speed at low throttle or decrease the speed at high throttle? Do you want to be able to adjust both motors or just one? Please describe exactly how you have programmed the two motors and what effect you wish to be achieved by moving the slider. Does each motor have a separate battery?

Please note that I do not fly electric models and have only a limited knowledge of their setup. I can help with programming the 14SG but you will need to check that any changes I suggest do not conflict with the programming of the ESCs.

You can go to the Function Menu and assign a reversed ATL trim to the Motor function channel but not to the slave channel. This will allow you to vary the high end speed of that motor as far as the transmitter is concerned. There should be no problem if you decrease the speed from the defined maximum though whether your ESC will accept an increase in speed is a different matter. As I said, my knowledge of electric models is sketchy at best.