NT Buys the Great Orme

From my local free paper I see the National Trust (NT) has recently bought a large part of the Great Orme for £1,000,000. Is anyone looking into how/if this may affect the slope soaring activities? ie how does the NT treat model flying on other sites it owns/administers?

Advert

NT welcomes responsible, insured flyers of NON POWERED model aircraft at most of its sites.

The sale of sections of the Orme to them should not make any difference to what most flyers do already - but it probably means that anyone wishing to use electric assistance on the slopes should no longer do so !

I am in communication with them on the matter and if anything needs publicising, I will do so.

Tim,

Do all or some of the sites come within their ownership/control? Having read their policy on model flying posted on their web site , from my reading, it appears that they prefer to deal with a central controlling body ie a club to which they devolve the day to day running/control/administration of model flying at sites on their property; yes/no?

Don't know about the NT and their reasoning, have to ask them, but I do know about the Great Orme. Not that long ago I obtained a copy of the original useage agreement for model flying at the sites on the Great Orme. I was informed that this still applied and was valid. This did specify that electric flight was allowed at specified locations on the Great Orme. Some may contest this but I have a signed copy of the document. As to the NT purchase, my understanding at the moment is that it should have no/very little impact on the flying activies, unless anyone has more information. But, who knows what the future may bring.

Posted by Andy Meade on 03/06/2015 08:58:48:

Still probably a sound issue - far too many screeching brushless power systems out there.

out on the side of a wind swept slope in the middle of nowhere i would have thought sound would not present too much of an issue , there again i wouldnt know because i've never ever done any slope soaring

I think you're labouring under the impression that slope soarers have props. They don't.

What I was trying to convey is that electric powered models are rarely quiet, and as such NT have a ban on them flying on all of their land, as far as I am aware. I fly a lot of NT land with slope soarers and it isn't a problem, and I doubt very much the Orme will be any different.

In the past electric models were flown on the Orme when there was no wind - meaning we could still get our jollies whilst waiting about. That practice is likely to be lost, but I guess we could always go and fly from the beach somewhere if need be on those rare days.

I am only guessing (so I probably don't know what I am talking about!) but I would think that to the NT power is 'power' regardless of weather it is IC or electric, they don't differentiate because they can both be 'heard' - that is, if you listen very carefully to the electric model! I know that electric models can be noisy but it is not generally the norm. To the NT it is probably more of a safety issue - someone might get hit by a rotating propeller. It would be nice to hear what their rationale is, although as others have said, the Orme is such a great place for slope soaring that usually it is not an issue.

Update via an email to myself from the NT is copied below ( in more than one part ).

Dear Tim,

Thank you for your enquiry regarding the charity’s recent purchase of land on the Great Orme. The very nature of the sale of Parc Farm through sealed bids and the vendor’s request for confidentiality has meant that the whole process has unfortunately been somewhat secretive, and only last Tuesday were we able to make the purchase public. This has, of course, meant that we were unable to keep members and partners up to speed with plans, and I’m afraid the communication of the sale was in the hands of the media, who naturally work to different aims. As the focus of the newspapers and broadcasters was the purchase, the price and the wildlife, there was a lack of clarity on what this actually means for those such as yourself who regularly enjoy visiting and using the Great Orme. The National Trust was able to purchase the 140 acre Parc Farm; the area shown within the red line within the blue box in the map below, and the associated grazing rights over a further 720 acres of the Orme.

Cont.....

This effectively means we directly control what goes on on the 140 acre farm, which currently has no public access, and have a stake in the conservation across the 720 acres of headland. This purchase allows us to help the various species at threat and, in the future, open up access to the land within the farm boundary. However, elements such as marine drive, the summit car park, visitor centre and so on, were not part of the sale and remain in private or local authority hands. Therefore, as things stand the charity only has control over the grazing to safeguard the many vulnerable species of flora and fauna and opening up access to the farm, and we cannot offer any additional member benefits or give make any promises for the remainder at this time. A natural priority for the long term will be to work with the council, the country park, Mostyn Estates, Plantlife and RSPB to widen the scope of member and public benefit.

I hope this helps clarify things a little, but if I can help in any other way please don’t hesitate to get in touch.

Many thanks, William Greenwood.

Doesn't really affect us at all - yet.

I don't really want to get into the whole "powered flight on slope sights" thing - been there done that got the scars.

I have mixed feelings on the matter, but if pushed, would lean toward saying no powered models should be flown if there is perfectly useable lift available.

The statement that the NT do not allow any power flying on their land is not absolutely true.

The club I am a member of flies electric models on NT land. Also Tatton Park has powered flying within the Park. Both rely on modellers behaving responsibly in not generating noise, safe and considerate operation

There could be more, although this aspect does not seem to be a priority for the BMFA in obtaining new permission to fly electric models on a greater range of NT properties.

I can understand that noise often is an issue with the public, electric flight can and should be very quiet.

I hope that the negotiations with the NT with respect to the Great Orme result in the status quo.smiley