Sipa S-200 In Depron

Hi ,

I have decided to build from the RCM&E free plan in Depron .

As a learning curve for bigger models and to give my son something to have ago on rather than the usual models he has been playing with .

Not only that his eyes and reactions are better than mine .

So i copied the formers onto paper ready for cutting and gluing onto Depron.

foamparts.jpg

Steve.

Advert

Ok ,

I have cut some 3mm Depron foam and started on the lower part of the body .

depsipa1.jpg

depsipa2.jpg

depsipa3.jpg

In the picture above you can see i have left part of the formers still intact as i thought they might break during the build so i have cut part way through the foam and drawn where i will need to remove later .

depsipa4.jpg

The sides have been added as they will help keep it straight while i add the internal parts.

depsipa5.jpg

the start of the Air ducting and battery holder.

depsipa6.jpg

A nice clean exit for the warm air to escape .

I will finish the planking tomorrow.

Steve

Looking Good Stephen - when you come to fill and sand it, you might want to look at decorating lightweight filler sold in hardware stores like B&Q - you can tell which one to get, if the tub feels empty when you pick it up...

I tend to wet it down to a thick "gloop" using Water based PU varnish and paint/slop/smear it over the Depron then when its dry sand it all back

Thank`s Guys ,

Thank`s Dave i was about to ask if / how / which Filla i should use . You have answered my question before i asked Cheers .

The planking on the bottom part of the body is not as good as i would of liked , as i used 3mm Depron for all the formers with the intention of using 2mm for the sheeting .

Only i cut the Belly pan out of 3mm Depron as well and so when planking up to it there is now a ridge , plus some small gaps which i guess i will use the Filla for ,

Do i use Filla over all of the body or just the parts that have gaps in question.

The top part of the body is pretty near perfect, as i changed tack here i made sure all sheeting was of the same thickness and a carefully cut my infill parts by taping a piece of Depron over the hole and drawing from the inside to get a outline of the cut i needed to make and then carefully sanded a little bit off where needed until i got a good fit. I also found bending the parts before gluing helped too .

Hi Simon , So far the total weight for top and bottom part of the body is 35.4 g i have know idea what the weight of the wooden version was at this stage.

Cheers Steve

Personally I use the filler/varnish mix in the Henry Cooper mode, ie slap is on all over then sand it down it its a curved surface I tend to use the sponge sanding pads from B&Q to avoid flats forming - the sand paper cuts through the filler very quickly so go easy

Posted by Stephen Jones on 15/06/2015 17:36:59:
Posted by Dave Hopkin on 14/06/2015 00:11:45:

I tend to wet it down to a thick "gloop" using Water based PU varnish and paint/slop/smear it over the Depron then when its dry sand it all back

Hi Dave ,

I take it you mix it with Poly C or Eze Kote .

I have both .

Steve

You can use either (they are basically the same thing) but since I ran out of Poly-C I use this stuff

**LINK**

It works out at about £3 per litre cheaper - I also use it for laying down lightweight glass fibre too

Just for the record I only use lightweight filler on the bits of sanded Depron (where its surface skin is lost) and of course on any gaps!. Although 'light' the filler is a great deal heavier than Depron so I try to use as little as possible by trying to build the Depron as accurately to the final shape as I can (lots of narrow planks) but then I am a bit paranoid about weight! wink 2

Thank`s Simon for you're input,

I would like to keep this one fairly light , more of a park flier that will fly slower than my previous builds .

So i do not want to over power it , i am thinking on the lines of throwing it by the wing much like i launch my flying wing .

Just chuck it up into the air then quickly reach for the controls nothing too stressful.

So would you mix the filla with Poly C as i would imagine that the filla would flake off without a bonding solution .

I have started on the wings now and i am using spruce sparrs as before and 5mm depron for the ribs and 2mm Depron for the wing skins so the wing will be a little thicker .

I am thinking on using 1/4 balsa for the leading edge and for the aileron leading edge so i can hinge in the normal way .

Do you think this is the right way to go ?.

Steve

Hi Foam Bashers !

I have started on the wings ,

wing1.jpg

I have gone for a balsa leading edge and spruce spars with Depron in between the spars .

And foam for the Aileron Leading edge / trailing edge wing for the hinge line .

Not sure how the guys that normally build with depron would of done it , but it is a learning curve for me .

wing2.jpg

I have decided to put a carbon rod in the boom which will be anchored into the wing.

wing3.jpgSteve

Hi ,

wing4.jpg

The wing joiners will slot between the Spars as before and there are now two rib 2 with balsa between them to hold the carbon rod.

wing5.jpg

wing6.jpg

The rod has not been glued in yet , it is just to show that it slots under and over the spars as well as being supported from side ways movement .

I have the Leading edge to sand to shape then insert the Aileron snake . And top wing skin .

Steve

For Hinging - I use the Dubro pin hinge types. I poke a hole for the hinge and push it in, cut away where I need the clearance then when it comes time to glue it in smear a little Gorilla Glue on the hinge and push it home - while gorilla glue doesnt stick to nylon very well, I still take the precaution of waggling the hinge every so often while its drying

Finished my 1st Depron wing .

wing1a.jpg

wing2a.jpg

wing3a.jpg

I am pleased with the results so far.

It is straight no twists or warps and firm no signs of this one flexing .

And it weighs 41g , no idea if it is any lighter than the balsa version at this stage .

I have foam wing tip and capping to the leading edge to do also cut the aileron free.

Steve

There's no doubt that you can do that, after all what the wing is doing under bending loads is translating the stress into compression along the top and tensile on the bottom. The key thing is to make sure that the space between top and bottom skins stays constant to prevent buckling and progressive collapse, and the spar is doing that. It's also the reason why dihedral braces don't actually do anything if the mating surfaces between the ribs at the join are properly glued. I suppose the important point is to make sure that you understand it and decide at the design stage which way you want to go. Simon's planes are masterpieces in maximising strength from minimum material and the reason why they are so light and fly on very low power.