DSX9

Martin  McIntosh

Having purchased a DSX9 just five days ago, I was looking forward to the review by Graham in the July issue.

Gripe about the review: hardly touched the surface. We modellers want things yesterday , not have to wait another month for the meaty stuff.

Gripes about the gear: (1) I agree that the lack of info about Rx positions is worse than abysmal. A newcommer to 2.4 would not have a clue as to satellite Rx placement, not that I know much better because my other 2.4 gear all use a single Rx.

(2) The mixers 3-6 cannot be switched on as far as I can make out other than by a pre-assigned switch, unlike the 388 or 3810 which can be permanently on. This means that you have to waste a full-function mix on, as in my case, simple dual retract channels. This could be a simple software upgrade to modify. What say you MacGregor?

(3) I purchased an extra AR7000 Rx which I intend to fly first. On the bench, if I switch the Rx off and on again with the Tx left on, the LED`s permanently flash on both Rx`s. I still have control. If the Rx and Tx are both switched off and on, the system operates normally with all LED`s permanently on. Is it safe to fly with them flashing? Again I can find no reference as yet to this situation.

(4) The JR Rx as supplied with the system is not available separately. You have to buy a Spektrum branded one.

Martin as for item 3 Yes that is ok. it is the latest software which indicates a power loss induced resync.

The leds are programed to flash to give you the indication that the power supply voltage has dropped below the minimum, otherwise you would not know as the resync time is now very fast.

Brian 

Thanks Timbo, but should the satellite aerials also be bent to 90deg? The supplied Rx has the aerials already at 90deg. but the satellite ones are at 180. Should these also be configured to 90 deg. so that all antennae are pointing in different directions? This would seem to give the best diversity of antennae but what do you do with a second satellite? Surely these issues should be addressed by MacGregor in the instruction manual which I consider to be pitiful. Having said that I have had no problems whatsoever with my DX6 and EX6A sets, and most people probably will not have a problem at all. I put my Rx`s right up against ESC`s deliberately to try and make them fail-but they don`t.

Well I confess to having only used the AR7000 and 9000 units, and in those cases I have always simply gone for having each wire protruding staright out of each side of the rcvr case IE: in a horizontal plane appearing as a simple straight horizontal line 180 degrees, but each receiver at 90 degree to each other.

Hope that makes sense ( funny how something so simple can be so hard to actually describe ) - sorry

Martin,

I have to agree the manual is not clear but that's true of most of most radio manuals as the radios get more complicated. I think if you set the mixers up on Position one on a switch this turns the mix on permantly, at least thats the way I read it in the manual, I also downloaded some set-up guides for the 9303 radio (same radio as the DSX9) from the Horizon Hobby site (USA one) which helped alot as even though I did not have all the models described it made the programming easier as now I had I real world example to follow. I found the one for the Ultra Stick very useful as I have one and I can now get another mix (Flaps as Ailerons) using only a 7 channel RX where on my Futaba 9c I had to use 9 channels and could not get the flaps and aileron mix to work.

• 4 months later...
I believe that the aerials should be oriented in the natural direction that they exit the case.  Where these are in opposition the wires are two halves of one dipole aerial, for one receiver, e.g the satellite RXs, but where they are in different directions they are separate 1/4 wave aerials for two separate receivers within the same case.  Within those limitations arrange the aerials at right angles.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Folks

I to have just bought a DSX9, & need help in programming it .

My problem is how to use the thottle stick for crow braking & throttle through a speed controller ?

I'm trying to use flight modes & programming crow braking off in Lauch & Cruise mods, but 'Moto' on & Crow off in Landing mode.

I read about programming Moto Hold in the 'Device select' & setting up a mix programme for assigning Moto to an aux channel?  but the preset percentages etc are all confusing.

Anybody out there that can put me out of my misery ?

Al the Destroyer

Al the Destroyer

I use crow  in my 26cc ultra stick. Aileron's up flaps down and all still working as ailerons

The best I have got so far with it is as the throttle is shut the crow brakes are deployed , as you advance the throttle they reduce until full throttle there is non. You can switch them off altogether. I am using a servo on the throttle but it would not mater if it was an ESC. Also using a 7 channel RX. The crow mix is in the glider section under butterfly. It took me a couple of hours to sort it but all the info was in the book. The throttle gets plugged into aux 2.

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks

I've just got a DSX 9 after having owned nothing but Futaba for the last 35 years I find the JR logic hard to come to terms with. I'm trying to program my electric soarer with a 4 servo wing using 3 flight modes (speed, cruise, thermal) whilst retaining the motor on the normal throttle stick and using the left hand flap lever for flaps and via a switch to add ailerons for full crow braking. The reason I'm going this way is because this is the protocol I've been using for a considerable time as a normal procedure and I don't want to change it to avoid confusion. However the first snag I 've come up against is the fact that I can get no respose from the motor whatever combinations I try. The manual recommends following a programming guide for 6 servo sailplanes following the glider section of the manual but I can find no further reference to this. Am I missing something? 

John