2 from 3 wires

I`ve bought a model which has navigation lights. The wires from the speed controller; there are two presumable, left and right. Each wire is made up of two coloured wires, Black & Red. I`m wanting to extend them but my extension wires consist of three colours,Yellow, Red, Brown. Which colour should I remove from the wires with three colours ? Please advise ! Eric.

Advert

Thanks frank, for your quick response ! The two wires for the lights do come from the speed controller. Leaving the three wires on the extension,as you state,is possible as the two wire leads do have servo plugs attached. Eric.

Hi Eric,

Name the model - there's bound to be someone on here who has already sorted it. The exact wiring can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, so it would be safer to check.

I assume that the ESC is just acting as a voltage source in this case (i.e. the lights are permanently on whenever the battery is connected)...

A non-intrusive way to add wingtip lights is to use "dolls house tape" rather than wire.
This is a 1/4" conductive self-adhesive strip, very much like chrome trim-tape. Just stick two parallel runs along the wing, so it looks decorative, then solder at either end. You can run the pos & neg parallel on the top or bottom, or one above & one below the wing.  You could hide them if you wanted under a strip of solarfilm or coloured trimtape.

I've also used dolls house tape to add aileron servos to a non-aileron wing. Works a treat.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COPPER-FOIL-TAPE-FOR-DOLLS-HOUSE-LIGHTING-6MM-WIDE-/360195355000

You can also buy twin conductor tape.

I'm intrigued though - nav lights are normally on the wing tips. So where would you extend them to? smiley

Cheers
Phil

Edited By Phil Green on 11/06/2015 17:13:36

This a photo of the esc and the two wires for the nav lights coming from the esc. the lights, light-up when the battery is connected. The lights are on the wing tips and and they are already installed with the wires ready to connect to the two wires from the esc. Because those particular wire are only comprised of two wires black & red my query is can I connect an extension lead with 3 colours to them or do I have to remove one of the three wires and if so which colour ?

001.jpg

Looks like the ESC has 3 servo wires coming out of it ,not seen one quite like that before

From the picture it is just using the outer two wires of the servo plugs so you can use any servo extension with 3 wires there will be nothing connected to the middle wire of the extension, the colour of the wires in the extension doesn't matter as long as ultimately you have red on the ESC wire connected through to the Red on the wire to the lights.

You already have something plugged in to one of them in the left of the picture but I can't read what your label says.