Acrowot Foam-E tailplane incidence.

IanR

On another thread a few of us have noted that our Acrowots will zoom upwards when the throttle is applied. Mine is almost un-flyable - very uncomfortable.

We have discussed motor thrust angles and CoG and elevator downtrim but the discussion appears to be centring around the possibility of the angle of incidence of the tailplane being too great. Mine, for instance, seems to be around -4 degs, i.e, tailplane pointing downwards at the front, in relation to the wing, although I am hoping to take further measurements when I get my new inclinometer. The suggestion is that it should be at, or near, -0.5 degs.

Can anyone who has an Acrowot Foam-E, which flies faultlessly straight out of the box, measure their angles so that we poor beggars on the other thread will know what we should be looking for, if anything?

Many thanks

Ian

Advert

If you reduce the angular difference between wing & tail, you will need to either increase the up elevator trim or move the cg back.

Have you tried the dive test to check the cg ?

What happens when you open the throttle from S&L inverted ?

Hi. I have over 200 flights on my AW Foam E now and had 2 fus's. Both flew the same apart from weight needed at the back on 2nd one to get CG. I have added a washer of down thrust to get it to fly S and L under power. My tail plane is the standard fit and I cannot see any great down incidence. I don't have a meter. The tailplane is flimsy despite carbon. I have had the wooden motor mount compress the foam over time and this nearly caused its demise when in flight the mount moved all over the place suddenly. I got it down by noticing stability improving when throttle reduced or cut in my desperate attempts to get some control . Thanks to its gliding ability I got it down in one piece ! It's my most flown model so I must like it despite its squirrely behaviour or do I mean agility ??? Colin

Edited By Colin Carpenter on 25/06/2015 12:28:21

It's been difficult to measure due to the flexible tail, but as near as I can measure with my Multiplex incidence gauge the wing is at about +1.5° with the tail set to 0°. The mechanical Multiplex gauge isn't super accurate, but I hope that info is of some use Ian.

Thanks for the replies. Pat, yes, some on the other thread have performed these types of manoeuvres but are still stuck. Thanks, Bill, that's exactly the kind of information we are looking for.

Any more?

Ian