A380 Conversion

David Gilder

I have often marvelled at the sight of the Emirates A380 passing over our house twice daily on its way either into or out of Manchester Airport.

So Christmas before last, my wonderful partner in crime and life bought me the HK A380 (ARTF).

How chuffed was I when I opened the box on Christmas day!!

Well, Its all well and good if you have a bowling green or tarmac to fly off as the wheels are also scaled down.. This has meant that until now, it has sat waiting its fate!

So here I go.... I'm converting it to PSS!!

Stage 1. Remove all the electronics and Ducted Fans!

There is nothing more I hate than cutting into a lovely shape but alas this was required for the nacelles in order to remove the Ducted Fans.

Here you can see the 4 (now empty) nacelles...

dsc01942.jpg

These will be glued back together with a blanking plate inside each one. 4 open nacelles would inevitably create a heck of a lot of drag!

After this, I removed all the wiring from the wing roots which included the 4 ESC's!

dsc01928.jpg

The motors were run up previously to check they worked but are now of no use to me!

If your interested, £30 for the lot +p&p!

Simon.

It may seem drastic but I hate having dead weight! All those Fans, ESC's and wiring weighed in at 541g. Over half a kilo of weight in / hanging on the wings!

That's weight that is better had as bigger battery to fly longer!

The nacelles will be held on with magnets, so that they knock off on landing. This is something I have seen on other PSS models with underwing nacelles and it works well.

Anyway.

I then removed all the u/c mounting points from the wings and nose... (Stanley blade for size comparison!)

dsc01945.jpg

So as you can see.. Those wheels really are not big!!

This obviously left some hollows where they had been glued in so these have all now been filled with ultralight filler and are drying overnight.

dsc01931.jpg

dsc01934.jpg

As you can see in the pic above of the nose area, This section is held on with magnets and is the access point to the battery bay.

That's it for today. Will try and do a little each day as I hope to have it ready to maiden at the PSSA meet in August on the Lleyn Peninsula in North Wales.

• 4 weeks later...

No Worries - given how many projects I'm not woking on at the moment they'd have sat doing nothing for a while anyway!

Going to try to get away from work shortly and might actually get some time in the shed this afternoon, will be able to do some modelling AND some garden DIY work.... at least that is what I'll tell SWMBO.

Keep us up to date Dave!

Back with you all again now!!

Sorry its been a while since an update but to be honest, there wasn't much to update due to work and family events!

Got back to it today though so here we are.....

On the power version, the ailerons are relatively small and I deemed not really suitable for a PSS model, so off they came and the cut outs extended. They now finish just inboard of the outermost engine pylon points so an increase of 50% in length! That should give a more authorative control surface area!

The cut outs:

dsc02456.jpg

So having cut out the extra, it was time to join the original foam aileron to the extra 50% part!

No?

Okay. I didn't think so either!!

Out with the balsa and the first new aileron cut and shaped! (will do the other tomorrow!)

dsc02457.jpg

Much better!!

Now the nacelles.. We left them earlier having been sliced open in order to extract the fans and motors..

These open areas inside now needed to be blanked off so after a few minutes with the fret saw and sander I had 4 inserts. These fit nicely onto a ridge moulded inside the nacelles!

Also on the pylons, the holes left from the wiring channels have been filled with light weight filler.

dsc02458.jpg

The engine nacelles will be fitted with 2 magnets each so that under normal conditions they will stay in place but can knock off on landing!

So here's a picture of 2 nacelles with the blanking plates installed and hot glued back together..

dsc02460.jpg

That's about it really... Oh,

Apart from the fact I have removed the design transfer from the fin and rear of the fuselage as I plan on a different scheme! Unfortunately, I didn't take a picture of that part but I'm sure you don't need one!

Will update again as soon as able!

Edited By David Gilder on 27/07/2015 19:01:23

Tricky one Simon. I suspect you may be right with such short nacelles. I did a back with an EDF Hunter converted to PSS one afternoon, flights with the intakes open and the air flowing through and some with the intakes blanked off. Same day, same conditions. The blanked off set-up flew much better, increased penetration and a more constant speed, the theory being that long ducting creates significant drag.

Simon - It may be that the short length of the nacelles would make them a minor issue with airflow, however, I decided to block them. I can always get the out later on if they dont appear to be helping!

Peter - 1.5 weeks.... Tight but possible!!

Love night shifts!!! Back at it after a sleep tomorrow morning!