Drones... The dark side

DCW

I don’t like to use the word ‘drone’ I prefer UAV or Multi-rotor, but it looks like we are stuck with it. So I will follow everyone else and call them drones. I quite like these machines, or for that matter any form of model flying. My concern is however, that these aircraft are not just being sold by our favourite model shops, with all of the help, advice and safety recommendations that usually follow. That is...

Why not join a club and get help learning to fly your new machine.

Get yourself insured by joining an organisation BMFA, LMA, BARCS etc.

Don’t fly in built-up areas or on private land without permission. And so on.

Maybe these RC aircraft are being sold by the wrong people, to the wrong people. My first reaction is ‘not my problem’, on second thoughts though, well, maybe it is. Particularly if local authorities start to bring in restrictions or maybe refuse planning permission for new clubs etc. We are after all ‘Judged by our worst’. I wonder just how many of these non-model shops are responsible enough to give the above advice. How about a few of us becoming ‘secret shoppers’ and reporting the results back to this thread? Any ideas? DW

Advert

When I read this last night I decided to have a look at a reputable retailer selling drones to see what advise they gave on operation of them, I picked Maplins, nothing showing at all on the website about the legalities of flying them, so I picked the "ask a question" about the product option and asked "why they were encouraging people to break the ANO by suggesting you can fluy a small drone upto 2Km away"

Looked at my email this morning and guess what - my question has been moderated and removed!!!!

Posted by Dave Hopkin on 10/07/2015 07:41:38:

When I read this last night I decided to have a look at a reputable retailer selling drones to see what advise they gave on operation of them,

Fair point, Dave. Out of interest, I've just looked at three very well-known online model shops and, guess what - none of them mention anything about the legalities, either.....disgust

Pete

I was wrong - on the Maplins Web Site pages for drones have a small link embedded after the main product characteristics entitled "Responsible Flying pdf" - this links through to a document showing the main points of the ANO and a further link to the CAA - no mention of the BMFA sadly