Imax B6 charger

Foxfan

I knew it would happen. I got my charger last year, I then just got the power unit (OK, dummy here thought they plugged in on their own). I go to charge a NiMh and it's the one connector they don't supply, one of those heavy white jobbies (Tamiya, is it?), so all I have to play with is an old Zippy LiPo a friend gave me yonks ago. I plug it in and I can't get the screen to display 2 cell. Everything else, but. I have no idea what value to click into "charge rate" and I can't get 7.4V (2S) to come up at all. I've pushed buttons till my ears bled from the LOUD beeping, I've turned it off and on again (always works, doesn't it?), disconnected, reconnected.

For a few seconds I'd told it to charge on 3S, where it told me it was on 4.9 volts. Then I realised my mistake and tried to reset it for 2 cells, but no, it won't have it.

Any ideas kind gents? This is my first ever experience of a Klevacharger of any kind.

I have a background of being able to do little else but bung a bit o' fizz in my 18V drill with any expectation of success. Me and batteries don't get on!

Cheers,

MrTin

Advert

If it were me, I'd cut the Tamiya plug off the B6 lead and fit a Deans plug, then make up a set of leads with a Deans socket one end and the connectors you are likely to use on the other.

When I bought mine it came with the required connectors.

Here's the manual. Some classic Chinglish in there but with a bit of thought it does make sense.

You don't need the battery to be connected to set up the charger. And with LiPO's its a good idea to get into the practice of always using the balance plug.

Ian

Edited By TheFlyingCrust on 10/07/2015 23:35:19

Hi. If I remeber right without mine in front of me. Press + -3rd button from left to select the type of battery then the 4th button to confirm. 3rd button to select type of charge - quick, balanced or charge. 4th button to confirm. 3rd button to select charge rate - normally 1/10th of capacity 1000ma = 1.0 4th button to confirm. 3rd again repeatedly to cycle through 3.7,7.4 ,11.1etc 4thto confirm. then hold 4th button until it bleeps then again when it asks to confirm correct battery. pressing. 3rd button again on lipo charge will give you a reading of each cell as it charges.

Hope I've got it right.

John

Edited By John Tee on 10/07/2015 23:39:22

Plug it in

Select LiPo Battery

Select LiPo Charge

it should come up with a display that looks like

Top Line "LiPo Charge"

Second line "x.xA 11.1V (3S)

Press START

The "x.xA" should start flashing - use the increment/decrement to alter the value

Press Start

The "11.1V (3S)" should now be flashing - use the increment/decrement to alter the value in 1S steps

Press Start

(Assuming the battery is connected - power and balance lead)

It should now say "Checking Battery"

then tell you the cell count you told it and the cell count it found on the battery

if correct repeat if correct press START and it should start charging

That's good to know, Mark, especially for a battery charging jinxman like me! When we lived afloat, knowing my aversion to battery charging, I paid for a very advanced system (British, too) that completely took care of charging our very expensive 4 leisure batteries, favouring always, the engine start battery.

I hope this little box will serve me as well as that did!

MrTin

If you use the LiPo CHARGE menu setting there is no balancing carried out during the charge. Its quicker for the same current setting but you WILL gradually (or not so gradually depending on the cell pack state) push the pack further and further out of balance, and this is never good. Depending on various factors you can over voltage a cell in the pack, REALLY not good!

Its always best to use BALANCE Charge on any LiPo.(other than of course a single cell.TEE HEE)

I never ever use anything other than Balance charge, probably why my packs go on and on (some now seven years regular use) while others I know who do not do so get issues. I always check cell voltages at the end of a charge, and after use, looking for cell deterioration and unequal storage/discharge ability . I find a "Two Meter" good for that (and cheap).

Cheap (but good quality) balancing extension leads are available and make connecting for charging easier.

Finally, if you use multi connector leads, be VERY careful to ensure that the bare ends are covered or at least cannot possibly touch, as this may short a LiPO pack, with consequent fire risk. I know someone who had a multi lead move (it unkinked and moved by itself) and this shorted a 4000mAh 6S.............before he could get to it it torched!

Once I learn how to scroll to Balance, I'll definitely use it. The only LiPo I have is an old Zippy 2S that a friend sent me with some brushless motors in exchange for some 1/16th" ply (unavailable in Northern Ireland apparently) and a Frog 100!

So there's every chance it won't take a charge by now.

But thanks for the warning, Dave.

Cheers,

MrTin

Hi There is a good chance that that lipo is not well the 4.9 volts seems a clue. Check what the voltage measures at it could be that one cell is way down. It would be interesting to see what both cells are each measuring. It could be that they are so far out of balance that the charger is refusing to have anything to do with them

now at the risk of waking the lipo police I would give the pack a very gentle charge on the nimh setting just a little current ie 250mA and initially for just a minute or so check the voltage again is it coming up it it does you might be able to repeat the progress until the charger will work. Then do a balance charge

yes and as far as a four battery's marine system is concerned yea they are hard work still wondering what do do with mine.

Thanks, Gangster. I wouldn't mind if I could get the 2 cel option to actually come up! I'll have another go tomorrow. Been out all day today at the Kimbolton Country fair, where the Triumph Renown Club were having their 40th Anniversary. My son has one, so went to get lots of pics. Great flypast out of the blue by a clipped wing Spit.

Now too knackered to start playing with chargers, but will have another go tomorrow.

I went for the Adverc management system on out boat and it did all the clever stuff very reliably. In fact we removed it when we restored the boat and sold it for 75% of what it cost!

Cheers,

MrTin