DB Sport & Scale Cirrus Moth 20E

Hi

Just thought i should start this thread, have seen a few build logs for cirrus and gypsy moth, but not the variant that i have.

Cirrus Moth 20E

I only got it this weekend after attending Cosford LMA, great show and well worth a visit if you get chance

On first impressions the kit looks good, well packaged. Wood appears to be of good solid selection and the laser cutting looks v good too.

Will post pictures as I make progress

Advert

Ok, i only have a little experience with building kits, so if you spot a major foul up please shout.

Anyway really impressed with the quality of the kit, at first the instructions and plan look daunting however after a couple of read throughs and checking out the clearly labelled parts it all seems to make sense.

I'm starting with what is first on the instructions , the wings

spars and te sm.jpg

Just laid out the TE and spars and got them pinned in place, used the two ribs to check spacing as i have done over plan builds before where the plan wasn't exactly to scale, however no such problems here.

I was about to just glue the remaining ribs in when i realised that there was no obvious way to get a servo lead out to where it needs to be , the instructions suggest a mini servo in each wing, so after a bit of head scratching i came up with this

ply rib template sm.jpg

I made a lite ply template of one of the ribs then cut out a hole that will allow the servo lead to pass through. I know this may sound like common sense , but its the first time i've encountered this issue.

Anyway after some careful cutting and glueing the first step in laying the wing is done

lower wing glue and pin sm.jpg

and here is a shot along the wing showing the servo cable run, i know its a bit rough and ready but im hoping it wont affect anything.

showing cable run sm.jpg

That's it for the first step, will continue to post as i make (slow) progress

If you have any hints and tips for doing servo cable runs better than i have id love to know before i attach the second lower wing

Cheers Gothi

Edited By Gothiquity on 21/07/2015 23:11:20

Watching with interest Gothi. The holes in the ribs look about right, well spotted. I often spot things like that right after I've glued the last bit on and it is too late.

I'm with Percy on the fourstroke if funds permit!

Only minor comment I'd make so far, and this might have been done after you took the photo, but I'd wipe off any of that excess glue around the ribs. It doesn't add anything to the strength of the joint in my opinion, but serves to make things heavier than necessary.

Looking good!

r

Hi guys

Yep did wipe the excess glue off after that shot, i agree extra glue doesn't add strength, and can be a sod to sand off .

Hadn't considered the four stroke to be honest but i'l look into it, my P51 has an ASP four stroke and that sounds great . Will the extra weight and height be an issue though ? want this to look as neat as possible.

I did take the wing off a few times to check things had set plus i needed to set the root rib dihedral, and whilst the plan shows a template for the angle, it didn't look right, so i jacked up the wing tip rib by the required 25mm and then set the root rib square, picture to follow shortly. seems to have worked though.

Still cant fault the kit, everything is good so far, if anything goes wrong its likely to be builder error.

Am checking for warps and twists as i go,so far everything appears to be in line. Applied front sheeting tonight and that's something new i haven't done before, again will post pictures tomorrow.

Have just started the second lower wing and this time have used the rotary tool to get the servo wire hole, a much neater job.

Anyway will post pictures tomorrow cheers for the feedback so far guys, i still consider myself a learner.

Gothi

To make it easier to feed the servo cable through the wing ribs I always make a paper tube by rolling a piece of A4 round a length of (say) dowel and glue it in place. It weighs next to nothing but makes the job of feeding the wire through a covered wing a piece of cake.

Geoff

Ok guys I've made my first (and probably not last ) mistake. I thought i was being clever but I've done something stupid.

I set the root rib with the wing at a 50mm dihedral instead of 25mm. Luckily Ive spotted the mistake and not repeated it so my second lower wing is now at the correct angel.

Question is what do i do about the first wing, i cant really dig out the root rib and re set it, Im guessing it will be up to a couple of mm out when trying to join it with the central lower section.

Maybe I'm worrying over nothing but I'm tempted just to pad it with some thin balsa, any other recommendation s?

Gothi

It will make a difference if one wing has twice the dihedral of the other. Probably in flying performance but certainly not only will it look wrong but you'll always be aware of your error. As you say one method of correction would be to pack it out with some soft balsa. I find my Permagrit sander an ideal tool to use as a 'get out of jail free' card when I make mistakes like that

Geoff

Well ignoring my mistake here are the pictures so far, thanks for all your comments and feedback, certainly feels like there are some very experienced modelers out there.

so this is the wing with the root rib set incorrectly, unfortunately Ive already sheeted and applied webbing, but im hoping all is not lost .

Upper TE is also applied, and although you cant see it there are two pieces of TE infill for the first two gaps from root.

lower wing sm sheeted and webbing applied.jpg

So anyway made a start on second lower wing, learning from my mistakes on the first one,

so Ive dremmelled the servo wire holes, which is much neater than carving and hacking.

lower wing neater servo holes sm.jpg

And whilst its not that apparent the wing tip is jacked up by 25mm to set the CORRECT dihedral .

Finally I've set the two pieces together which form the wing tip.

Not making more progress until glue has dried thoroughly .

Comments and feedback welcome as always, glad this build log is getting some of you inspired.

Ok guys, slow progress over the weekend partly as I was busy but also because I hit a snag.

Id come to assemble the wing tips, and had located the laser cut parts easily enough cut them free and after reading the plan carefully offered them up to the plan and they didn't fit.

However they seemed to fit if placed in the opposite order, much head scratching was in order as well as much searching in the WWW, however after checking everything and making sure I hadn't made yet another gigantic foul up, I contacted DB sport and scale, I explained the issue and sent them a photo of the issue. I was impressed when no more than an hour later I had an initial response, saying they thought I may be right but they would check the following day. The following day I got another e-mail saying I was right and they were surprised no one else had contacted them about it, I have asked permission from DB sport to post this and they are happy with doing so.

wing tip prob sm.jpg

The picture shows the plan indicating where 238 and 239 should go, however 238 fits where 239 is shown and vice versa.

It was the only real explanation which may be why no one else has reported this back to DB sport, but at least I got it verified, and can continue with the build.

Edited By Gothiquity on 27/07/2015 22:01:01

Ok so more work done over the weekend , here is the wing tip built up

wing tip comp sm.jpg

doesn't show well on the pic but it does have a curve from LE to TE. once this was dry came the bit I wasn't looking forwards to, cutting out the aileron.

It seems so counter intuitive after spending ages making the wing as good as possible to then cut part of it off.

Cant tell you how nervous I was making the first cut, think I measured it ten times anyway here is the end result, with one side of the aileron hinge fitted

aileron cut sm.jpg

The plan show a cross section of the aileron with a definite angled gap between the aileron and the rest of the wing. Using the ply control horn I was able to marry up this angle and trace it on to the aileron ribs .

aileron angle sm.jpg

Then it was just a case a creating an aileron end cap (another rib basically) fitting the control horn in place and gluing it all together.

which I have now done

aileron assmbly sm.jpg

Will crack on with the second lower wing next .

Many thanks for your support guys

Gothi

Edited By Gothiquity on 27/07/2015 22:10:56

Meant to mention I asked DB sport about the engine to use, and they suggested a 4 stroke would be better than the 2 , so I'm taking that option, have seen a lovely "YOU TUBE" clip of the 20E Moth flying with an OS30FS but that engine isn't made anymore so I think it will be the ASP 30, think I'm a while off worrying about the engine though, still got two more wings to build, the fuz and then servos etc. etc. etc.

regards

Gothi

I have just started to follow this build because I have just started my first build which is a DB Tiger moth E. They seem pretty similar.

I have posted recently due to probs building the curved TE at wing root and tips. I think I have got the straight TE area worked out ok BUT I would really like to see a picture if possible of your work on trailing egde. Did you bevel top strip or bottom,did you follow plan or adjust etc.A end on shot of TE would be great if you are at that stage again.

I have a few pics on my post,its on scale and semi scale,title, rounded TE

• 1 year later...

Hi All

sorry for the very , very, very long abscence. Life gets in the way of flying

Yes did manage to complete the built with one or two mods, Will post some completed pics later.

She flys like a dream on the ASP30FS, just bumbles round the sky very scale like , no aerobatics at all, but that suits me fine, FS sounds great too. Have plated the cowl with aluminimum as my FS seems to chuck out quite a bit of slime so it helps protect the wood, didint bother with the plastic cowl and aluminium plated the engine bay too, looks kinda cool on the ground and in the sky, not scale but hey.

Must admit it has a brilliant presence in the sky and handles like a much larger aeroplane than it is. Handles wind ok up to 15MPH , could probably handle more but the pilot cant

Cant comment much on the rest of the build as it was pretty much text book stuff, didnt stray too much away from the instructions. Changed the way the interplane struts were attached but only because i messed up the split pin attachments.

Regarding the TE didnt have much issue at all, built over plan then sanded to profile , the cirrus has a straight wing through and i recall the tiggie has more of a sweep built into it , cant say for sure as havent seen that plan.

All in all i can highly recommend this plane, its fairly sedate but it doesn't bite either. The club I fly at are all pretty impressed with it , even when im flying it. Makes a nice change from all the foamie RTF stuff.

Also as a bonus i leave it fully setup, so no messing around with taking the wings off.

Moving house this year so builds firmly on hold, do have the follwoing though

• Cambrian modles " The Answer" plan to fly this with a AP Hornet .15
  • Traplet Peter Miller "Miss Alliance" looks like a fiarly straight forwards aerobat
  • Traplet Philip Kent "Comper Swift" fancied a challenge

oh well on with the decorating .will post pics later

cheers guys and sorry for the delay