Turnigy 9X range issues?

Anyone using the Turnigy 9X?

I was asked to test fly a clubmate's model recently and was told that there was no range test facility on these transmitters. I've looked on the 'net and it seems to be generally accepted that there is no way to put these into range test and the manuals I've found don't mention the subject!.

Before the flight, I tried various combinations using the button marked bind/range test but nothing appeared to happen, After take-off, I was just starting to trim the model on the downwind leg when the throttle cut (failsafe?) and I deadsticked it back to the field. Tests back at the pits seemed fine although I was concerned about a possible lack of response after the motor cut which could have been due to decaying airspeed but might have been radio related.

I'm wondering if I might have managed to get it into range check mode somehow - despite the lack of any audible or visual clue.

I'm also concerned over some of the comments on the HK site that some of these radios have a range of 1500 metres and others only 100 metres - which was about how far away I was!

Has anyone had any luck with range testing these transmitters? Can we consider them as safe to operate without a range check? Or are range checks on 2.4 GHz equipment valid anyway when the power reduction can't really be quantified?

Edited By Martin Harris on 23/07/2015 00:58:17

Advert

Not sure why you say "Or are range checks on 2.4 GHz equipment valid anyway when the power reduction can't really be quantified?"

On Taranis is quite clearly stated that in range test mode range is reduced to 1/30th of full power

I dont know the radio but quite a lot comes up in google related to lack of range test facility a few range related issues - a lot seem to be down to the soldered (or lack of) aerial connection in the TX

Hi Martin, I have been using a 9x for a couple of years without any issues. I also have a spectrum and a taranis but tend to use the 9x for day to day flying as it is simple and just works. Must admit I am not into long distance fpv etc but just pootling around the circuit I have never had reason to doubt it.

A

here you go out of the DX9 manual

Range Test
The Range Test function reduces the power output. This allows for
a range test to confirm the RF link is operating correctly. Perform
a range check at the beginning of each flying session to confirm
system operation.
To Access the Range Test screen:
1. With the transmitter on and the main or telemetry screen
displayed, press the roller. The Function list displays.
2. Rotate the roller to highlight Range Test, then press the roller
to access the Range Test function.
3. With the Range Test screen displayed, push and hold the
trainer button. The screen displays Reduced Power. In this
mode the RF output is reduced allowing for an operational
range test of your system.
4. If you let go of the trainer button, the transmitter will go back
to Full Power.
IMPORTANT:
Telemetry alarms are disabled during the
Range Test.

My main concern was whether it had somehow switched into range check - even though there is a button marked range check it seems nobody has managed to use it. That day, I also discovered that a Spektrum 18 channel tray version (at least) doesn't seem to have any audible warning when set to range test - a lesson I very nearly learnt the hard way...

Glad I use a radio myself that is easily put into range test and tells me audibly all the time it's in!

On the RF module plugged into the back of the Turnigy 9X is the round bind button. After the RX is bound and the model and TX switched on ready for flight the button becomes the range test. Just hold the button in for reduced power and range test the same as any other radio.

A point I would raise though is that it's not 100% clear whether a single press sets the reduced power or if just holding it in does it so as a precaution I have always switched everything off and re started before flying, just to be certain.

That's the sort of thing I was wondering. It certainly felt like a reduced range problem but there was no indication that it was in range test. Perhaps some of the low range reports stem from a faulty/stuck button or accidental operation?

My clubmate reappeared today with a Futaba receiver fitted and the model was fine when I flew it - but its a shame that I didn't get a chance to investigate further...

• 2 years later...

Another question on range issues: having upgraded a Turnigy 9X with a Smartieparts ersky9x board, is it still necessary to change the original Flysky RF module to fix the range issues detailed above?

I plan to use the Orange module to allow DSM2/DSMX rx to play with the Microaces range!

Are you still on board Mike?

Is that the 9Xtreme board?

The original RF module should work fine still.

If you want to use the Orange module, you might consider updating the firmware on it to the version that uses the Multiprotocol, see this thread: **LINK**.
The original firmware on the module didn't work well with some "BNF" models, in particular the throttle didn't respond.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Mike, just seen your reply! Yes I did 9extreme not ersky9x. More head-scratching ahead then.......

"the original RF module should work fine still" is true but isn't that module the weak range culprit? Another reason to go Orange as well as DSM2/X compatibility with BNF models.

Can there be another reason for poor range issues with standard Turnigy 9X?

• 6 months later...

I hope Mike Blandford is still contributing to this excellent forum!

Having successfully fitted the SmartieParts 9Extreme board to my Turnigy 9X, I bought an Orange DIY module at the Weston Park show this summer on a UK visit.

This weekend the original RF unit was modded to be removable and tested OK. Then the Orange module yellow RF signal wire was soldered to PIN1 on the pcb on the case rear, the red +ve wire went onto PIN3 via a switch to allow either Orange or original modules to be used, finally -ve brown wire went onto PIN4.

On re-connecting the battery the Tx powered up immediately with switch OFF, making a slight buzzing noise. Main switch ON made the buzzing slightly louder. Removing the Orange module completely didn't fix anything.

The soldering has done something to bypass the ON/OFF switch, but I am stumped now.

If anyone has any ideas, I would really appreciate any dialogue!

Allan Morris

Does the firmware run normally, when you now just plug the battery in, or just a buzzing noise with nothing on the display?

The 9Xtreme has a "soft power switch", so that once it is powered on with the switch, it keeps the power on, even when you switch off, so it may ensure all data is written to the EEPROM before it then turns itself off.

The 9Xtreme fully supports TWO modules, one mounted internally and the other externally. Both have software controlled power switches and separate signal outputs so you may select either (or both) to operate on a specific model. You wire the DIY module to a connector on 9Xtreme.

Details of the connector are here: **LINK**.

Mike

Posted by allan morris on 02/12/2018 08:51:37:

I hope Mike Blandford is still contributing to this excellent forum!

Having successfully fitted the SmartieParts 9Extreme board to my Turnigy 9X, I bought an Orange DIY module at the Weston Park show this summer on a UK visit.

This weekend the original RF unit was modded to be removable and tested OK. Then the Orange module yellow RF signal wire was soldered to PIN1 on the pcb on the case rear, the red +ve wire went onto PIN3 via a switch to allow either Orange or original modules to be used, finally -ve brown wire went onto PIN4.

On re-connecting the battery the Tx powered up immediately with switch OFF, making a slight buzzing noise. Main switch ON made the buzzing slightly louder. Removing the Orange module completely didn't fix anything.

The soldering has done something to bypass the ON/OFF switch, but I am stumped now.

If anyone has any ideas, I would really appreciate any dialogue!

Allan Morris

Allan

You can easily wire up a short on a switch, as they are not all the same inside or out

SPST, SPDT, DPDT

Which are you using? Single pole, single throw, Single pole, double throw, Double pole, double throw?

And it goes on from here with switches

Count the pins coming out of the switch, how many rows etc

DPDT for eg would be 6 pins, in rows of three, the centre usually a common feed, and easily shorted with solder

Edited By Denis Watkins on 02/12/2018 09:51:13

Thanks Denis, I am using DPDT, though I now realise that you only need to switch the power supply to the Orange module. I was switching the RF output as well, but not needed. Also the double throw is irrelevant as the original module has its own supply once plugged in to the back of the Tx, so no switching required there either!

You can now clearly see i haven't a clue what I am doing!!!

What could I have shorted?

Allan

Twice Allan, I wrote you an essay on wiring a switch, a Twice I hit the Terms and Conditions button below, which is laid as a trap for my fat fingers, and my comments lost.

Briefly then for you to check that your DPDT is in fact operating as an On/Off switch

Convention is we put the supply Red and Black to the centre poles

The switch then engages the power to the two outer poles corresponding to the direction of the switch push

Thank you Denis for your efforts,much appreciated.

Mike B has put me on a different track by pointing out that the software er9x will run TWO RF modules without any mechanical switching; it's all done in the Menu selections of the software!

Followed the diagram link but ended up with the same result, doh! I must now sit down with the Tx and the manual for a few hours, days, weeks............

Allan

One way of powering on the radio is by plugging a trainer jack plug in. This works independent of the power switch.

Connect your battery, then go to the "Trainer" menu. If in trainer mode, it will just display "SLAVE". This will test to see if the trainer jack socket is the cause of your problem. You won't get the "SLAVE" display, if the trainer source is not set to "JACK PPM" at the top right of the display.

Mike

Trainer is displayed on the trainer screen, not Slave. I don't even have a Protocol choice on Radio setup to choose a module.

I sometimes wonder if we are talking about the same radio! eg "trainer source is not set to JACK PPM at the top right of the display" Where is that?

Perhaps I shall just file the radio in "failed projects" and get on with building and flying planes with my old SANWA RDS8000!!

Thanks again,

Allan

Well, the 9Xtreme upgrade board from Smartieparts runs ersky9x firmware. I guess you haven't updated the firmware since you got the board. As long as the firmware does everything you need, then you don't need to update it. The current release version of ersky9x is R221. I think the 9Xtreme shipped with R218.

The trainer source is set on the trainer display, at the right of the top line. I'm not sure when I added that, along with "trainer profiles"!

If you are OK probing with a multi-meter (voltage and resistance) I can take you through some places where you may investigate further.

The 9Xtreme schematic is published here: **LINK**.

Mike