SOPWITH 1/3 SCALE STRUTTER

Boz

Advert

Nice work Boz

in response to a query elsewhere, the diagonal struts between the spars and ribs don't need the gussets as they are compression struts to keep the structure parallel, once its rigged, as with the full size the wings and indeed all the models main strength will come from the rigging, at this scale we cant get away with "model" engineering (wing tubes etc) its better done the way the real ones were, I always liken the rigging of my DH2 to "knitting" an aeroplane every time, as it was the only thing keeping it vaguely aeroplane shaped.

cj

thanks for that cj, just about done the 3rd wing now, will finish the small bits as a group,ie inspection windows etc after my trip down to hendon iin december two seats going spare if anyone would like to go, no charge just a smalldonation to a charity, a1 or a46 from scunthorpe to newark then a1 south to hendon, message me if you would like to go . hanks for looking boz1447251902106.jpg only one more half phewww

well thanks for that very kind comment, being a novice i don't know how good or bad my build is, ive laid out and glued the last half of the wing, note the curve on underside, dsc_0032.jpgdsc_0031.jpgi also wiped plan with olive oil, as last time it kept disappearing on me using alcohol, should get off to a good start tomorrow

well thought i would take a break from the wings, and decided to do some work on the dummy engine kit bought separately from the main kit, so cut out the main engine shape from the plastic moulddsc_0041.jpgthese are the main parts that come with the kit, ply inserts and wire rods that will become the push rods, and a bag of nuts etc for the engine bolts, length of brass tube for tappets.

dsc_0040.jpgi then cut out the glass fibre mat that will be used to line the nine engine cylinders, and then made ready to resin the mat in place, this job is best done outside as there are very strong fumes given off.

dsc_0042.jpgplacing the two ply strengtheners into place. after the first stage is dry will add a few more bits of glass to any areas that may require extra strength when i have to drill the engine bolts and push rods

dsc_0043.jpgi will tidy up the engine area when the glass fibre has cured, thanks for looking, boz

Hi Boz

looking better by the day, the mick reeves dummy engine makes up nicely and is only ever to be stationary, yes the real Le-Rhones/Clergey,s et al were rotary engines but this is just to fill the big space at the front, I have one in my MR Pup,

the simple way that members of Dawn Patrol (that us) have done is a simple flat plate dummy engine with an image of the appropriate engine either printed out and stuck on or in the case of clever artistic types a nice 3d painting, these are fitted twixt engine and prop driver usually. But for those of us with a serious engineering skill you can build a real rotary engine, check out one of our members Bentley, Andy is a supremely skilled engineer, 31/2 years to build the engine, and another 18 months to scratch build a "Simple"  airframe to put it in,

check it out here

**LINK**

cheers

chris

Edited By ceejay on 20/11/2015 09:08:20

Edited By ceejay on 20/11/2015 09:12:44

Chris, thank-you that's very spectacular, the dawn patrol aircraft and engineering is leagues above my skill levels, I doubt if my build will even come close to those absolutely spectacular builds, thanks again for your interest in my build, boz

Hi Boz

you would be surprised by how many DP models are exactly what you are building, MR kits and Balsa USA are very popular as they both build into quite accurate models,(and good flyers) they can be tweaked to improve them easily, yes we do have some members that excel in building museum quality stuff, but the majority of us are just mere mortals, its a good scheme painted well, (that's one thing we insist on painted schemes no decals!!,) always looks good in the air and on the ground, and we benefit from a collective skill base for anything we need advice or help with, so feel free anytime.

off topic slightly going to Cosford Sunday yes,

chris

hmm edit time out

as has been pointed out, the Bentley never powered the Avro 504, about three times the power of the 504 Gnome Lamba 80hp engine,(there is a very nice Sopwith Snipe at Old Warden flying with a Bentley all 230hp its quite a site) but the504 has the means to protect the engine in the event of a nose over,,,,can you spot it!!! yes

chris

well just got the main undercarriage parts back from my friend, he silver soldered them for me, as they were far too difficult for me to attempt,

dsc_0052.jpgi will clean them up with wire wool before sanding and painting, i am going to have a go myself at some of the smaller parts when i need to fasten it to the fuz, later in the build.

dsc_0053.jpgdsc_0054.jpgthe cross member and axle are still to be fastened to the sides but will wait until i have made a jig the same size as fuselage before i do anymore work on it, thanks for looking boz,

will be doing a little more work on the dummy engine over the next few days

• 2 weeks later...

well guys, after a slight hick up with the first dummy engine, i decided i would order a replacement from mick reaves. well i wont go over the first part again re fiberglass the cylinders, and cut and bend the push rods,and cut and fit the brass cam followers, as i posted on that before,

this time i did thing a little different/ i glassed the engine as a whole unit and also around the tops of the cylinders, without cutting it out first, i found this made for a stronger base to stipple the grassfire,after drying i gave the thing a sprinkling with talk on the inside, this made it a bit less sticky, and it smelled better than the glass resin,dsc_0056.jpg after carefully studying the engine this time {lol} i drilled out the correct holes,i then went on to test fit the push rods, and the nuts and bolts supplied with the dummy engine,

dsc_0057.jpg

the white powder is not cocaine, honest, officer, its talc

those of you eagle eyed builders out there will notice that the nine holes around the outside of the engine are empty, thats because when i went to RAF cosford to see the full sized aircraft , i noticed they where a bit bigger than the others, so i have left them out for now, although mick reaves does not supply anything to put in there only the same nuts as around the inside, however im looking for something to put in there.

dsc_0058.jpg i have taken the picture as close up as i can get so you can see the detail in this dummy engine, im sure the expert builders among you would be able to do a much better job than me, after i find some nuts and bolt tomorrow i will fit them , then as per the excellent build by jez i will paint and varnish the assembly using jes,s methods

thanks for all your interest, i really do appreciate all the people who are following my attempt, boz

• 3 weeks later...

well i have had a thought re the engine used look, i have hung the engine push rods outside for a while, i am hoping to get some weathering on them before fitting them to the dummy engine.

i don't know if it will do any good but as i have a spare set of everything i can take the chance.

dsc_0061.jpgthen i used this to give the engine its first coat of paint, following jez build i have used the same paint, hoping my engine will turn out something like a used one

1451563042859297275709.jpg when the push rods have turned a bit rusty i will fit them and give the whole thing another coat of paint.1451563062470532742939.jpgi will then fit all the nuts and bolts and see what it looks like, thanks for looking boz