Resurrecting a old OS61 pumper

Stuart Z

Can someone point me in the right direction please? I have an old OS 61 pumper that should be in good order albeit it has sat in a drawer for 25 years at a guess. It used to pull my F3A Calypso around at a rate of knots! Not crashed, but want to know if there is somewhere I can get it restored / freed up / cleaned up etc.

Advert

If it's just gummed up have you tried sitting it in a tub of glow fuel overnight? I have feed up castor gummed engines with WD40 in the past but I'm not sure how the rubber parts in the pump would react to that. so I'd stick to a soak in fuel and then warming it with a hot air gun on low, or a hairdryer.

Bob, Thanks for the reply, no I've not tried it as I don't have any - but it does sound like an option. I'll order some and give it a go. No reason to believe anything more serious , but as said above, it's been sitting a long time. Thanks

Then all I need to do is sort out the tranny!

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 11/08/2015 13:06:21:

If it's just gummed up have you tried sitting it in a tub of glow fuel overnight? I have feed up castor gummed engines with WD40 in the past but I'm not sure how the rubber parts in the pump would react to that. so I'd stick to a soak in fuel and then warming it with a hot air gun on low, or a hairdryer.

If the tranny is gummed up you can put that in the tub of fuel as well devil

I purchased an old open rocker Enya forty four stroke engine a few years ago.

Yep castor oil fuel had gummed it all up.

No compression at all, I left t in a ice cream tub full of fuel and occasionally brushed it with a tooth brush, left it for a good few days, removed and just cleaned off the muck from the outside of the engine.

Lubricated the bottom end with air tool oil and cleaned out the carb jets,

Ran it and flew with it. for a few years, still have it in the engine cabinet.

Worst thing you can do is to try to turn it over before cleaning it