Red Bull Air Race Ascot, 16 August 2015

Colin Leighfield

dsc_0598.jpgdsc_0628.jpgdsc_0674.jpgdsc_0675.jpgdsc_0701.jpgdsc_0703.jpgdsc_0706.jpgdsc_0707.jpgdsc_0800.jpgdsc_0801.jpgdsc_0802.jpgdsc_0830.jpgdsc_0832.jpgdsc_0864.jpgdsc_0866.jpgdsc_0872.jpgdsc_0875.jpgdsc_0876.jpgdsc_0877.jpgdsc_0878.jpgdsc_0897.jpgdsc_0898.jpgdsc_0903.jpgdsc_0904.jpgdsc_0933.jpgdsc_0934.jpgdsc_0937.jpgdsc_0942.jpgdsc_0945.jpgdsc_0947.jpgdsc_0949.jpgdsc_0971.jpgThis was brilliant. Good supporting show from an Apache, Chinook and also the Breitling Wing Walkers. Sadly Nigel Lamb blew it in the final heat, Hannes Arch had an engine no-start which eliminated him from the final, Paul Bonhomme showed again an uncanny ability to know exactly what top do to win, which he did with a blistering final run. Matt Hall from Australia second, Yoshihide Muroya and Nicholas Ivanoff third and fourth. Bonhomie now 8 points clear from Matt Hall in the world championships so far, with 46. Nigel Lamb is in 5th place with 17. This is well worth £43, a great aviation spectacular.

Advert

Good point CS. Air shows like this are amazingly popular, there were thousands there. Sadly the bias that is so obvious in the media view of the sport that we should be allowed or encouraged to see is at work here. They were describing this yesterday as the aerial equivalent of formula 1, shame that the TV companies can't seem to understand that.

I was there on Sunday too Colin, very close to you it seems (I was seated in front of the static display Sea King).

Dave is correct, every race is streamed live on Red Bull TV, so I am able to watch all of the races on my PC or Apple TV.

RBAR @ Ascot is a fantastic day out and well worth the journey.

I'm a Nigel Lamb Fan myself and yes, it was not the best day for him. I think he was lucky to get 5th place. At least a british pilot won on the day, Paul Bonhomme is undoubtedly the best pilot, he is very consistent.

MXS-R Visit 3

Nigel Lamb's Breitling sponsored MXS-R

MXS-R Visit 1

My 26% scale model of the MXS-R

MXS-R 1

More on this model here

Edited By Allan Bowker on 19/08/2015 10:24:27

RBAR is certainly very exciting, but I wonder if this event will be affected next year by the investigation into the Hunter crash - even if the CAA do not clamp down on aerobatic monoplanes, I can see the insurers hiking their premiums significantly for an event of this type. The public and media perception of the dangers of airshows may also work against it.

Edited By MattyB on 28/08/2015 14:33:14