Help With Strutter Build. by BOZ

Boz

can anyone help with this, this is a photo of the wing tips that mick reaves has enclosed with the plans, showing the piano wire round the edge32the next pic shows the edge with what looks like the linen covering used to cover the airframe, 33do you think this is used to hold the wire in place before covering?, or should i fasten it with small pieces of piano wire like i did on the tailplane {see build blog} or will that be ok as shown, thanks for looking boz

hello guys help needed again, still working on the top wings and started thinking about the hardware, looked at this pic that mick included with the plans38is this a way of holding the bolts in place ? if so what is the method of fixing,boz

dsc_0006.jpgdsc_0007.jpgdsc_0008.jpgthis is the photo thats with the plans, i think its a bottom wing as the flaps can be seen on one of the picsdsc_0010.jpgi am working on the top wing as you know, and as the small piece of ply is not shown on the plan it says bolt into place, i dont think they are self tappers.

these are the plan photos on the area in questiondsc_0009.jpgi can see how they fit but dont know what the small bit of ply is doing there, jez is this the same on yours? thanks bozsmiley

Ok thats clearer now...slightly

I would suggest that it is indeed a reinforcing plate, but if you are working on the top wing it should be glued to the top surface of the lower spar and the metal plate bolted to the under side of the wing.

I wonder if that piece of ply is also intended to give the plate the correct spacing from the rib....if you overlay the ply spacer on the plan, can it be made to butt up to the wing rib while keeping the holes in the right place?

Edited By Jon Harper on 30/09/2015 08:31:24

hi jon, here is the area in question, there are only 4 of these ply pieces so it must only be the one wing that has the ply insertsdsc_0013.jpgas i said the ply is not shown on the plans at all, and no they do not but up to the wing, shuld i glue in place or just glue nuts in the holes and bolt from outside underside of wing? quite puzzling, thanks for looking bozfrown

Hi Jon, looking at the metalwork that came with the strutter I am beginning to wonder if it's 1/3 scale? As it looks smaller than the supplied hardware, the strutter is a lot larger than the pup, and wonder if Mick has not made this hardware larger than the pup? Guess I will have to get back to Mick, boz

jon thanks for the advice, yesi heard back from jim, at mick reaves its as i thought the plans are blown up to one third as per the sopwith pup, but as the strutter is a larger airframe the parts do look smaller,crook although its a 1/3 scale, i dont know how this will effect, the views of the scale brigadequestionthe plans on mick reaves site do say dawn patrol, so i think it should be oksmiley, if my build even gets close to the standards on there i will be happyheart, boz

jon yes they are for the bottom wing to strengthen the anchor points,yes well taken a break from the build today, the wife wanted to know{quote} how much more room  room i would be taking up with these planes question{quote} what with the 105 inch edge in two boxes in the spare hanger/bedroomdevil, the engines for the strutter, and the edge,wink 2 the 35cc storch, and all the other stuff,sad rose then the strutter on a ten foot board on the dining room table the boomarag trainer and bit and pieces in the hall,fist i think she is over reacting a little, i got myself a good second hand shed 12x8 and am just turning it into the workshop/hangerdog here are a few pictures of the work so far, im using as much reclaimed wood as i canUnder construction sorry its wrong way up will try harder next time lolsad3i have put a new roof on it as i dont want any water ingress and this wood is off the roof im using it to build two 12 foot benches one each side and will cover them with ply2 new floor and lot of work to do but work again now untill tuesday, thanks for looking bozheart

Edited By Boz on 01/10/2015 15:23:44

Edited By Boz on 01/10/2015 15:26:08

Edited By Boz on 01/10/2015 15:28:02

just about to fix the last bits of ply filling, but wondered if i should lock tight the hardware in place, or leave it to the endwhen i have built all the wings and fit the hardware all togetherdsc_0025.jpgalso what sort of angle do i need for the anchor points i think you can make out the angle i have just nowdsc_0026.jpgthanks for looking boz

Hello again guys, am getting along with my top wing, and noticed that there are a couple of windows in there, looking at builds done by others they are made-up from old bottles and litho plate, is this litho plate softer than aluminium?and therefore easier to shape, if so where can I get some from? in the Scunthorpe area,thanks for looking boz

cut some steel for my undercarrage and angled it,37 this is one half of it

as its my first time doing this sort of thing, please feel free to comment, good, or bad, see all my latest pics on my build thread, thanks for looking boz