Scratchbuild 84" Depron DH Mosquito

Advert

Collected the Mossie from Nitroflight today and it is absolutely stunning.

Roy has left me a couple of little jobs to finish off before the much anticipated maiden.

Simple words are insufficient to thank Roy for allowing me to own such a magnificent creation but I know he gets great satisfaction from the build.

This is not by any means meant as an advert but I would encourage anyone passing the Rotherham ares to call in to Nitroflight and meet Roy and Charles as they are a terrific example of what a model shop should be, enthusiastic modellers serving modellers with quality gear with a back up to match.

Watch this space for pictures and video of hopefully a successful maiden.

Thanks from one very giddy Mossie owner teeth 2image.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I strongly suspect the guys are waiting for some optimal maiden flight weather which can be difficult to come by at this year; where I am we have not had a weekend day suitable for maidening a beast like this for several weeks. Best to be patient though, there is nothing to be gained by maidening in unsuitable conditions.

Hi Shane

Believe me no one is more frustrated than Roy and myself, the Mossie is all set and raring to go but the weather won't play ball.

We probably have a couple more weekends before the grass will be a bit too long as the cricket pitch we fly fron doesn't get cut again until spring.

I promise you as soon as it happens we will share it on here.

P.S. Got word today that Electriflier is starting another build

• 3 months later...

Quick update, the grass had been cut and the sun decided to shine so despite the worse possible wind direction the maiden could be put off no longer. He the mossie was lined up into wind and power applied, the tail rose she tracked straight and lifted off beautifully.the wheels tucked away perfectly and there was power aplenty. The motors were slightly out of synch so made a beautiful throbbing noise. The fact that not one click of trim was required is testament to the superb building skills of Roy. A few fast circuits were performed and a slightly slower one to check for any nasty tendencies. The landing approach due to the wind direction meant coming in over the trees and the first approach was a little too fast so I powered up and went round again. The second approach was better and resulted in a lovely touch down and one big cheesy grin laugh

So thanks again Roy for a beautiful aircraft and I look forward to many more flights.

Many thanks to everyone who has followed the build.

Phil smiley

P.S. The flight was filmed by a club member so will hopefully be uploaded later.

Edited By Philip Rawlinson on 13/03/2016 14:51:34

• 1 month later...
Posted by Philip Rawlinson on 16/05/2016 19:50:30:

Thanks again for the pictures Roy. And Matty a club mate took some video bit had problems with his camera hopefully there will be some he can salvage and post. Very frustrating as I would love to see it fly myself rather than clenching my buttocks flying it. teeth 2

Does it have some tricky characteristics then (I've seen a few Mossies that were a handful due to those narrow tips) or is it just the "man hours" effect adding additional nerves into the mix?