Scratchbuild 84" Depron DH Mosquito

Thank you guys.
It has made a change to be able to think about things other than depron and Uhu Por. Yesterday evening and for a few hours this evening, spent a bit of time knocking a bit of blue foam about along with some scrap balsa block that I had laying around.
Under each nacelle there's an intake (on some, variants, 2) which i thought I'd have a go at using the blue foam. These might be the first thing that connects with the floor in the event of a belly-landing so, I didn't fancy making them from 3mm Depron. The blue foam sands up well and once fastened to the model, I'll strengthen further by adding tissue and EzeKote. Whilst they were off the model, gave them a first coat of tissue and coating. mo0.jpg
The rough shapes of the intakes made and tissued ready for installation on the model.

Not much more I could do on the intakes until they're fastened on so decided once and for all to address the exhausts. I've toyed with various ideas from vac forming as I did on the Spitfire, to using Ali' or microbore copper tubing to fashion the exhausts. With nothing to lose, started whittling some 3/4" balsa blocks to see how they might look.
Well, after a few hours and a couple of glasses of Vin rouge, ended up with these.......mo1.jpg
3/4" Balsa block and the side-on outline of my exhausts.

mo2.jpg
Coutouts made, now  the swept-back layout of the tubes
 drawn roughly onto the balsamo3.jpgmo4.jpg

Removed the balsa from behind the stacksmo5.jpg

A bit more whittling......mo6.jpgmo8.jpgmo9.jpg

Hey, they'll do for me.....! Flying by at 15' off the ground on a misty day, they'll pass!
Thanks for reading....
Roy

Edited By Electriflier on 01/11/2015 18:43:52

Edited By Electriflier on 01/11/2015 18:45:20

Advert

"time and tide wait for no man"...........................
The build is nearing completion.
I've spent an inordinate amount of time filling, painting, rubbing back, filling, painting etc but it's been time well-spent in that the model is now tarting to look the business.
I have given the underside of the model a coat of a light blue/grey emulsion and started to think I was almost done when I realised I hadn't installed the under-belly gun tubes (or finished the radiator intakes - yet to be done)
4 pieces of the white plastic micro-bore tubing (that I used in the wing locators) were cut and glued into the fuselage before cutting off the excess to give the desired effect. I have applied a bit of lightweight filler around each tube and will finish them off tomorrow once the filler has hardened.

img_20151106_143138.jpg
A bit of rubbing down to be done before I give the underside the final coat of colour.

As I have mentioned previously, Phil had expressed his opinions re the overall colour scheme and so, the olive drab camo' sections were painted over the now-smooth grey. It took a coupe of coats to cover the green sections and then I had to wait until the green had dried before I went around each edge of green with a dry brushing of the grey to give the 'washed-edge' to the camouflage.
With the black and white invasion stripes, there is actually very little camouflage pattern to do. Speaking of which, the stripes will require one final coat of paint before I start with the Eze Kote.
Anyway.........
Progress to date.....img_20151106_143217.jpgimg_20151106_143102.jpgimg_20151106_143047.jpgimg_20151106_143039.jpg
'It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas' for Mr Rawlinson.
Proabably, the next pictures will be of the finished model complete with insignia hopefully.
Regards
Roy

Edited By Electriflier on 06/11/2015 17:36:09

Probably look even happier this weekend.

Printed out the insignia onto plain paper with the Epson Ink-jet printer and applied liberal amounts of permanent adhesive spray. They've gone on pretty well and now I've applied a couple of coats of Eze-Kote, they're going nowhere,
Just one or two jobs left to do before I hand it over. I will be leaving a few jobs for Phil to do like connecting up the aileron linkages, finishing off the oleos etc. Nothing too much really.
Overall, I'm very happy with the build and the Mossie looks fine to me. Taxi tests soon I hope which no doubt will be video'd and as soon as it happens, I'm sure someone will upload here.
See what you think.....
mos.jpgmos0.jpgmos3.jpgmos4.jpg
For Now...........
Regards
Roy

Cool, 12lbs is nowt, at about 118 watts per pound, it's nearly 3D territory, surpriseand 50A is lovely, what a super setup. Should be stunning to fly. I'm not often taken by scale myself, but really appreciate the ingenuity, determination, and overall coming together of this one...no one can argue, it really is modelling at it's very best....I do hope it rewards you well in flight. More power to your particular elbow. thumbs up