A 30 in a Typsy nipper

geoff wise 1

Thanks, peter they arrived Saturday morning. Yes, the cowl's plenty big enough for a 4 stroke, but my stumbling block always has been exhausts, i abandoned an se 6 sea plane, i could tolerate seeing the motor at the front of the faring, but not the exhaust pipe sticking out like a BandQ door handle. This was the os 26, so without looking too closely, i got the saito 30 and assumed i could get the right angled union to go into the head so i could bring the exhaust straight down in that case past the engine mount as the cowl was on the top, which is the reason why i wanted a gypsy cowl as in the past i've had a skyways tiger mothish and the hawk 60 with an enya 49 in and the exhaust just popped out of the bottom nice and neat. I now fear i'm going to have the same problem with this. As the pictures show, that with the motor up against f1, the pipe protrudes out of the side of the aircraft. Both motors have different angles on the exhaust outlets and both exhaust pipes have different sets in them, it seems a bit unfair that manufacturers cater for 60 and above right angled outputs, do you have any suggestions? The motors both have the same thread, but its an odd ball and a die is very expensive. The Enya 56 has the same problem, you have to cut a hole in the cowl of the accrowat, it's almost pointless to put it on. Pics may be in my album. Geoff

Quite correct, KC, the Nipper has a flat 4 16 or 1850 VW engine with a carb or fuel injection and is very aerobatic when fitted with fuel injection and a dry sump for inverted flight, i've seen the real one up close, the one i saw seemed to have less dihedral and the guy put on a good show. Had i been building a Nipper, i wouldn't have been worrying about the exhaust system, i'd have had a dummy cylinder head on the other side and run it open exhaust with no silencer, where i fly, ther's no noise problem. I made another typo, it's not an s6b it's an s5, that's the one that doesn't have the V engine in, it's the one with the bank of cylinders on the top and i wanted to run the exhaust out of the bottom. Is there a way i can edit a post after posting it? So now we've got that sorted out, how do you put a 4 stroke in a gypsy type cowl without making it look like it was done in scrap heap challenge?wink

Ask a Moderator to edit when you can no longer do it.

Dies for unusual sizes can be obtained at reasonable prices at Tracy Tools

Have you considered using Bendy pipe from Mick Reeves he shows a way to join Bendy pipe to screwed manifolds.  Note that he suggests using a long length of Bendy pipe instead of a silencer. 

Worth checking that site for other unusual items too. Check out sevo plug holders, Metalcoat etc,etc,

Edited By kc on 03/09/2015 00:43:34

I didn't see this at first, It would have been agood idea to continue with the original thread. I don't always check my threads in Plan builders.

I have adapted an OS 20 exhaust system to an SC 30 to get it out of sight. It was several years ago so I can't remember how much hassle it was.

I gave up worrying about exhausts hanging out in the open long ago. Fine if it is super scale but if it is just for sunday flying I adopt the attitude that you can't see it at 50 feet.

At the moment I am building a scale Rotec 2800 engine 4 1/2" in diamter. There is a big OS 48 FS stuck out the side.. It will not be obvious as the model is flying so I am not worried at all.

And talking of Tipsy NIppers, WE had one based on the local strip that we used to fly from. Got lots of pictut=res of that.

AND What about the highly modified Tipsy NIpper called the Gusty that now resides in America. I did a nice model of that but for some reason it was almost uncontrollable.