Ballasting model

Flyer

Hi guys,

Been doing a bit of slope soaring off the Preseli's (westest west wales) and have seen all of your PSS models. We do enjoy a lot of wind here, so am looking at building a PSS for use on windier than I would normally fly days.

The question is, obviously I will need to ballast the model more, would the ballast need to be on the c of g or would it be better slightly in front? Am thinking of a TN Vulcan, but am open to ideas.

Cheers

Adrian

Adrian, good to see more PSS interest. The days of PSS being only for a gale are long gone and most of us have models that'll fly in very light winds, 8-10mph depending on the slope and very few models are ever ballasted. Loads to choose from, the Conway Hawk is a great all rounder and into to PSS.

Thanks for the above lads,

I think I have a few old airframes in the hangar that 'may' get an airing. I'm not sure if the slopes I use would be suitable, but that's half the fun! I will have to try the 2016 mass build PSS and meet up with you guys. Anyway, thanks for the advice, I'll put up pics once I've something to fly, along with progress reports.

Cheers

Adrian

That picture was taken by Phil Cooke, we -well alot of us like that shot, Matt not so much. The Conway Hawk mentioned by Matt is a superb flyer, I remember watching Phil and Matt flying there's and one was rolling around the other whilst traversing the slope front - brilliant I must say.

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 16/09/2015 06:16:46

I personally always ballast bang on the CG, but I know some do prefer to bring it very slightly forward in high winds - I guess this is because as air speed rises this will result in a "friendly" gentle pitch up on high speed passes across the slope edge. Not so friendly on an inverted pass though...!

Hi Flyer

where abouts on the Preseli,s, know them pretty well, spend some time each year in Pembrokeshire/Ceridigion and have a few slope soarers, one a PSS though not flown it yet!!! needs lots of wind, Its an old Gnat converted from an old IC powered one. will be down there in 5 weeks time!!

cj

Hi CJ, I fly off Castleblythe (near Puncheston) on a Northerly/nwesterly, and off the road from Rosebush to Myanchlogddu (anythuing from due west to s east.

Hoping to get something flyable by end of October, hopefully scale KA8 or DG1000 or a Pat Teakle Pic 20. My large Fox will have to wait ......

catch you on the slope

Adrian

Posted by Andy Meade on 18/09/2015 12:21:33:

I love it when that picture gets posted yes

Adrian - is there a local club, and what is access like on the Preselis? Looking around on Google maps looks like it might be a bit of a trek (not a problem generaelly) but I am in the area next week and fancy a few more hills to fly from.

Thanks!

I'm a member of Haverfordwest Model Flying Club; not many of the members now fly slope, as advancing years are taking a toll. The most likely slope to use early next week is off Castleblythe (east of Puncheston village). You can park on the roadside and the walk up is reasonable. If work allows, I may try and get out with my foamie ( been way too long since I last flew). (I 'may' be able to sneak out and by on the slope by 6pm lol)

Adrian

I have a Pat Teacle Pic 20 myself!!

Used to know a few Haverfordwest club members few years ago, was a regular flyer at the Scolton Show, lost touch recently, need to rectify that, am down end of October.(Sun 25th) if I can find your patch and there,s someone there I will say hallo!!

I know Templeton and if I can make it I will contact, wont just turn upyes

cj

Edited By ceejay on 18/09/2015 14:49:55