Delta 8 Reciever

Michael Black

Hi all was not sure which section to put this in.

I have been flying for about 18 months and past my A test a couple of months ago. I have been buying these receivers over the past few months from hobby king so that when I got my new models I would have a few receivers. I tried the first Reciever when I did a range check at about 10 meters it lost its connection, so tried another and it as okay, I have used this one a couple of times and seemed okay. The last one I put in a precedent 80 with SC 70 four stroke did a range check and all okay. I took of okay, I was doing a couple of circuits and in a certain place it seemed to bear off to the right, I decided to take it round and land at the farthest point I lost all control of the model it just spiralled out of control to the ground. Now I would rule out pilot error but don't know what happened seasoned flyers on the field say it was not a stall it was flying fast enough, but I can't understand why it went to the straight down, if I lost signal which it certainly felt like why didn't it glide on?

Has anyone else had trouble with these receivers? I have lost all faith in them now!

Sorry for the ramble

Mick

Edited By Michael Black on 08/10/2015 21:10:23

Advert

I've got one FrSky receiver, but it's FASST specific, and so far it's given me no problems. Generally I stick with Futaba receivers, but wanted a PPM output, which Futaba don't do. Never heard of the Delta 8 before this thread, but it sounds a little too good to be true, with its multiple capabilities.

What transmitter are you using?

As for nose-diving on loss of signal, it depends on how your fail-safe is set and, perhaps, on wind conditions.

Hi Allan and thanks for the reply the transmitter is a 10j, the fail safe is set on the Reciever I had the engine going to tick over and some right aileron. Today the conditions were spot on 5mph wind and no cloud. I had absolutely no control at all never experienced it, total feeling of helplessness realy annoyed I liked the model.

Mick

Also meant to put in first post wouldn't  rule out pilot error!

Edited By Michael Black on 08/10/2015 22:37:28

With "some" right aileron, and no elevator, that could force the model into a spin and nose-dive, I suppose. The possibility of pilot error is always there but, unless you switched off your transmitter, that doesn't sound like the case here.

So that leaves the possibility of interference, faulty receiver or power supply, or poor quality receiver not having as much range as it should. Come to think of it, are you sure your transmitter was in reduced power mode when you did your range checks?

I have got 2 Delta-8 receivers - both are used on my Taranis although previously, I had used them on my Futaba T8J - one is actually in use in my Prec T240 at the moment..

They are fine on the Taranis (in D8 mode) and I had no problems with the Futaba although I have to admit, I never felt comfortable using them. I cant explain why - 6th sense or whatever.

Getting back to your incident, I don't think it was pilot error. However, it may have been a power failure - perhaps a faulty switch. When you did your range check, how far out did you actually walk?

M

Hi guys thank's for the replies the range check on the 10J is easy switch on with finger on the toggle button it also beeps in low range so I know it was in low range . There's a container on our field about 50m from the pits so everyone seems to walk to that I did the same, no one using Futaba seems to have any problems with interference the guys with spectrum seem to suffer it now and again. I was there today with futaba receivers with no problem think I'll just not use them.

Mick

Edited By Michael Black on 09/10/2015 17:00:48

Michael, I tried a delta 8 with my T8j a while ago and it would not work at all so sent it back and found out there was a batch of delta 8's made that did not work or work well with Futaba [ok with other makes they said]

Since then have only used Futaba 2006 reciever's £31.99 from Inwoods with no problems.

The Delta can be a real pain to bind - it can take up to 2 minutes and during that time you need to keep the F/S button firmly depressed. I think many people expect it take the usual 10 seconds max. I dont use the links which is another way of doing it apparently

Be patient - you will get there

Martyn

I wouldn't bother using rx's ther than the main makes. I did use an Orange one in my Sonic 64- done so for a couple of years no problem. The model is repaired, but why should it crash in the first place?

Flew the model last week, went out of control and crashed. I knew it was signal, as the motor went into failsafe and model was dead to controls.

Now, I will just put a Spektrum Ar400 in it and not bother with the rx that was in it - just use it for indoor or shock flyers

Edited By Paul Marsh on 09/10/2015 19:36:17