Sussex Model Centre

Anyone know if there's a problem there? I ordered some glue, some triangular stock and some glass cloth, didn't get the balsa and, over two weeks later, when I try and get through to the shop recently it just keeps ringing and no-one ever answers.

I spoke to them when the order arrived, around the beginning of the month and the guy thought they were out of stock (seemed quite vague about it), but this wasn't mentioned in my order and they've taken the full amount from my account.

It's not a lot of money (£7ish), but it's somewhat annoying!

Edited By Simon B on 16/10/2015 14:24:48

Advert

never had an issue with Sussex, they have tended to always be sound enough. Although I once ordered one specific part, and they sent me something different, which they responded with "it was out of stock so we sent you this!"...errr no...but they handled it without any fus.

There are a few comments relating to retailers taking the money and only sending a proportion of the order, then waiting no doubt until they have enough orders for a minimum order from the distributor....sign of the times, and being hard up... but leaves a very nasty taste, i agree.

As others have said on the forum, it is best to call and check before ordering to be safe...YES...actually speaking to people face 1...it works and often results in a better all round experience, as our modelling trade are typically good folk, but are under hard enough times to spend more money on up to date websites with realtime stock.

"As others have said on the forum, it is best to call and check before ordering to be safe...YES...actually speaking to people"

When a website shows stock levels I don't think you should have to do that.  I finally got through to them this afternoon on my 5th time of trying today and I've been promised a call back when they items are in stock, so I have progress!

Edited By Simon B on 16/10/2015 15:47:52

I wonder if there's some staff off sick at the moment at SMC. My order arrived today, and the invoice shows it was processed yesterday, four days after it was placed. So, a small delay, but no other issues.

Some retailers do seem to have less-than-optimum computer systems -- there's no reason why their web site shouldn't accurately reflect their stock levels unless, perhaps, they want to reel you in, and then hope you'll be happy to wait. Two days after an order to another web retailer I got an email saying one item was out of stock, so what do I want to do? I said send what's in stock now, and the rest later. I then got another email saying they can't split orders, so I cancelled the out of stock item.

I don't know what's behind the minimum orders that some wholesalers are requiring. My local model shop owner was easily able to get me a T-Rex 550 kit a few years ago, but Robbe would not entertain his subsequent orders for spares unless he committed to a couple of hundred pounds' worth. He says that the same applies to another major wholesaler who he's bought ARTF and B'n'F planes from recently.

• 3 years later...
Posted by Allan Bennett on 16/10/2015 20:24:28:

I wonder if there's some staff off sick at the moment at SMC. My order arrived today, and the invoice shows it was processed yesterday, four days after it was placed. So, a small delay, but no other issues.

Some retailers do seem to have less-than-optimum computer systems -- there's no reason why their web site shouldn't accurately reflect their stock levels unless, perhaps, they want to reel you in, and then hope you'll be happy to wait. Two days after an order to another web retailer I got an email saying one item was out of stock, so what do I want to do? I said send what's in stock now, and the rest later. I then got another email saying they can't split orders, so I cancelled the out of stock item.

I don't know what's behind the minimum orders that some wholesalers are requiring. My local model shop owner was easily able to get me a T-Rex 550 kit a few years ago, but Robbe would not entertain his subsequent orders for spares unless he committed to a couple of hundred pounds' worth. He says that the same applies to another major wholesaler who he's bought ARTF and B'n'F planes from recently.

"I don't know what's behind the minimum orders that some wholesalers are requiring. My local model shop owner was easily able to get me a T-Rex 550 kit a few years ago, but Robbe would not entertain his subsequent orders for spares unless he committed to a couple of hundred pounds' worth. He says that the same applies to another major wholesaler who he's bought ARTF and B'n'F planes from recently"

A ruse by the distributors perhaps to introduce a degree of planned obsolescence (on their part) to certain parts of their range? A mad situation that can only do harm to the trade and hobby as a whole.

Edit...just noticed the date on the post

Edited By Cuban8 on 14/09/2019 14:17:56