Jart L Carbon Lost Foam Version

Thanks Chris. This is a plane for the Orme really but with the 70 inch wing span, hopefully it will fly on some of our better slopes - that is what the reviews say. It weighs what is recommended - about 65-70 ounces, so we will see.

I am nervous as have calculated the CofG online. Couldn't find guidance anywhere.

Thanks TIm for the tip - good one - didn't think about the tips only being the aerial. Will be easy now. Will have to take out the servo tray anyway to get the lead in.

I know you had a Jart and broke it -saw the thread so perhaps I can bring it to a PSS event and you can have a twiddle of the sticks? If it goes like Andy Ellisons I will be happy.

With ballast mine will be about 106 ounces. We will see.

Take your point Tim about the switch. I always use a toggle switch where I can because it is much more positive. I have had problems with slider switches not switching on properly and crashes with the Hawk and JP as you will recall.

Advert

Yes Pete - mine is a Jart LT ( Light ) but after a couple of lawndart landings over the years, it got a little heavier LOL

Mine is still with my friendly slope soarer mate who has a car body repair business, and hes supposed to be fixing her up for me..... that was around 4 years ago !

I must go around and get her back as she is a lovely bird to fly.

Be glad to have a twiddle on the sticks with yours mate - 6.5 lbs eh, that'll shift although I believe AEs lead sled version was nearer 9!!

Well have been beavering away installing wing servos, covering and applying trim etc. I have to say it is probably the prettiest sport model I have made. The Fluorescent effect of the solartrim was negated by the fact it went over black carbon fibre fake.

One or two issues - I tried to adhere the servo supports with silicone as the instructions for the plywood servo tray said, but it was useless. I made some 1/64th ply seats to the servo holes in the wings and glued them and the trays in with Gorilla glue - seems to have worked. I did hear that nothing sticks once you have used silicone, but I got away with it.

I tried 2mm studding and ball joint clevises for the flaps but didn't cut the tops off so they broke. Replaced them with circuit board fibreglass conventional horns - much better.

So decided to put it together and see how it looks. I put silver solarfilm on the canopy but it wouldn't stick due to wax which was seeping through from underneath. I had covered the inside with wax so it would not stick to the fibreglass canopy liners as they set, so I am spraying it with Chrome aerosol spray. So far only undercoat

All finished now apart from setting up fine tuning and replacing one of the KST servos which packed up. Hyperflight gave me a 50% reduction on a new one because I had cut the leads.

Weight is 86oz. The production version is 65oz so where is all the extra weight? Works out @ 22oz per sq ft. Is that a lot? Don't think I will need ballast!

I think it is because the tailplane is foam veneer instead of wood and the Savox Micro servo is in the fin. With hindsight I should have used a 9 gram servo

• 2 weeks later...

Oh dear dear dear. I have now burned out 2 KST Servos because one of the 12 leads I made had the polarities reversed for the left aileron - cost about £50!

Even worse, they are now out of stock at Hyperflight. Good service from them though.

I thought I had fixed the problem by reversing the leads but still no joy from another good servo. It works when plugged the working servo  into the receiver but there is a problem somewhere in the lead between the lead from the servo and the aileron servo in the wing.

The problem is it is all epoxied inside the fuselage and into the wing!

Question for Mr Mackey. I have put a meter on the connections and it appears that the signal and positive leads may be touching. Before it was the positive and negative. There is a possibility that the signal and live may be reversed. If I swap them over will it ruin the servo? I don't think so but before I go ahead, I thought I better check.

Either the leads are swopped over or they are touching, I think.

Schoolboy error. Message to self - check the servos before gluing up. If it as I suggest, I will have to somehow remove the multiplex plugs from the fuselage and wing without wrecking the plane. Really annoying!!!!!!!

Edited By Peter Garsden on 21/03/2016 22:36:32

If you've got a meter handy, check them all for continuity. No wire must be in circuit to the other at all. Then check them end to end - you want continuity from one end to the other,. Treat one end as "good", and wire how you think it should be form end to end, then check again that they are on separate circuits.

If none of the above works, you need to pull the leads out, or scrap the wire that's in there and feed another one in.

Are the cables free to move in and out? I always make sure I can remove an extension at the very least due to problems like this in the past

Edit to add - also check the soldering on the multiplex plugs.  They are might close together, and could be a wee bit of single strand making the jump and ruining your day.  Get the magnifying glass out and have a good root around betwixt pins.

Edited By Andy Meade on 22/03/2016 13:30:17

Thanks Andy - problem is that the wires are all glued in with epoxy and fibreglass powder, so I will have to rip it out - not looking forward to that. Should have checked before gluing, obviously.

I have a meter and understand what you mean. The problem is that I get a connection from the signal wire to not only the other end of the signal wire but also to the live wire suggesting they are touching, that is the problem. I am obviously using the resistance setting on the meter.

I should be able to isolate if the problem is in the male connection from the fuselage or the wing. I hope it is in the fuselage because that is easier to remove.

Edited By Peter Garsden on 22/03/2016 18:07:44

• 3 weeks later...

Great News - maidened the Jart today at Bosley Minn and it was a great success. The lift was booming and the wind speed about 15 to 20mph. The wind was SE and I think there were some thermals.

You have to launch over a high fence so tricky. I needed some up trim, but apart from that it flew right out of the box.

Like I said the wing loading is about 22oz per square yard. All this does is give it momentum. Big large loops and the roll rate is amazing. Big climbs. I would go as far as to say it is my favourite plane to fly, and it lands with the crow brakes like a pussy cat, and really stands out in the air. Marvellous. Really chuffed. It flies really fast.

Hope to have a quick flight at the Orme maybe next week at the PSS event.

My Jart at Bosley Minn

• 4 months later...

Since the last post I have had many hours of supreme fun with this wonderful open source plan design. It flies as though it is on rails in all conditions, and on all slopes - must be my all time favourite. I recommend you build one, you won't be disappointed.

Have heard that Barry from Foam Wings is retiring, which is a great shame as his work was superb.

2 weeks ago at the Orme, I had many flights - then that "one last flight" resulted in disaster. I launched and tried an outside loop too close the slope with not enough speed, disaster - the fuselage hit the rock of the Orme with a clatter.

Great credit to the strength of the fuselage and wings - it snapped the tailplane in 2, dented the bottom of the fuselage (easily fixed with a bit of glue, and dented one wing. fixed it with some blue foam and new leading edge)

The tailplane Just glued back together. I inlaid some 1.5mm ply for extra strength. I lost half of the elevator which blew away never to be found again, so replaced the foam sandwich version with balsa

It is ironic. I was just saying to a relative beginner "Don't worry about crashing, it happens to all of us", next minute it happened to me!

Still, all repaired now and fit for the slopes.

Edited By Peter Garsden on 03/09/2016 07:13:47