Seagull Low wing trainer

Richard V-D

Starting to think about Christmas and getting the family to buy me a low wing trainer.

The Seagull 40 gets good comments and states the usual 40/46 2stroke, or a 52 4stroke. I have a .56 Saito which is unemployed at the moment, and was wondering if that would still be ok or maybe too much.

If too much, any suggestions on a suitable low wing trainer for it?

Richard

Should be perfectly fine - you can always throttle back a bit

The only "watch out" when  using engines at the upper end of the range would be is the u/c long enough to give adequate ground clearance to the prop you will be using

Edited By IanN on 13/11/2015 12:20:53

Posted by cymaz on 14/11/2015 06:40:35:

You lucky old thing....bear in mind that most artf undercarriage plates are fitted very lightly. Most will require a bit of beefing up, either with an extra ply plate or some corner bracing.

Enjoy

I have about 60 flights on my calmato alpha and the uc is surpringly intact! No beefing up required. The one issue is the soft nose uc wire! Bends, no prop issues, but can be bent back for next take off!

Kk

You won't be disappointed for your daily go to plane!!

Actually after the uc comment, i did beef up the firewall bearers, after some cracks begain to appear! No big failure i just sorted it before it may have became an issue!

Has anyone witnesed the calmato 60 in the flesh? Of topic i know, dont answer if i crossed a seagull drawn line in the sand.

Hi Richard, I think your saito 56 would suit that size low wing trainer nicely. I did have an SC 70 in my Calmato 40 for a while , it flew ok but the whole package was a bit heavy compared to the 46 two stroke that was originally fitted.

KingKade a member at one of my clubs has recently maidened a Calmato 60. It looks exactly the same as my 40 but (obviously) a bit bigger. He had a 120 four stroke fitted but I think personally that a 91 size four stroke would have been ample.

The only complaint I had with the calmato was the covering trim coming off, other than that I cant recommend them enough. Much stronger than the Black Horse "Air" kits.

Let us know how you get on , J

• 2 months later...

Having had a wonderful Christmas, with me winning the biggest present competition laugh, I shall start work on the Calmato shortly. I have to finish the repairs to the plane that I crashed into a fence post on landing first, and then it'll be full steam ahead. The Saito is sat on the bench awaiting it's new home.

Exciting times

The Calmato is a great plane; though don't get orange. With orange you loose sight of the wings in turns if you take it further out. Watch the covering; it does tear easily, and the u/c does bend, but it,s OK. Tried to get an OS 55 in mine , for more power over the ASP46 but the OS was a bit too wide. One of the lads in the club bought a calmato60, but after flying it for a while he thought he would have preferred the 40 size. The Calmato is a great choice. I may get another one.