John Lewis selling model planes.

Colin Leighfield

I was amazed to see that John Lewis were selling Vintage Model co. kits of the Hurricane and Spitfire in their large Tamworth store. These are of course proper balsa strip and sheet, tissue covered rubber powered models, similar to the KeilKraft range. There was even a Hurricane that had been built and covered suspended on a thread hanging above the kit boxes on display, even if it was covered in red tissue!

I'm not sure if this is the beginning of enthusing a new generation or putting them off for life. But what a pleasure to see. Well done John Lewis, let's hope that it leads to bigger things!

Advert

I bet there will be loads of disappointed kids on Christmas Day when they open the box and find they have to build it for themselves! Worse still they find it isn't even radio controlled! Let's hope some have grandfathers who can assist.

Why was that Hurricane red?

Tom, I was in Maplins on Saturday and I saw these super professional quads, as well as a decent looking one with camera for £79. It looks as if they take these things seriously.

Not really my cup of tea to be honest, what fascinated me about Lewis's offerings was their going back to selling traditional design model aeroplanes of the same sort that were common when I was a kid. I wonder how well they are going to sell, some buyer has stuck his/her neck out and taken a flyer, excuse the pun, I wish them all the best and hope it's a successful venture.

I wouldn't describe the Phantom as a "top end professional quad" - very expensive (over priced in my view) toy - yes maybe. You can get exactly the same capability at a fraction of the cost. And for the same cost you can buy a much higher spec quad. In my experience the Phantom tends to be "professionally used" by people with very little knowledge about quads. Its ability to operate straight out of the box appeals to them and they have to learn little or nothing to use it.

Like Colin what impressed me here is that this is a "real" model aeroplane. Building is definitely on the up and this might be an early indicator. It would make a great father/son project.

BEB