Do 'high wingers' make good PSS subjects?

Flyer

As per title, just come across a 'large plan', and was wonder if I could ditch the engines and just go PSS?

Have seen an Antelov (Simon Cocker one???) and think this may well be do-able. Looking at wingspan approx 120 inch.

Any pointers welcome.

cheers

Ade

I wish I knew what all these numbered airoplanes were. Must do some anorak swotting.

At first, when I read this I though you were asking about whingers, which of course is something else altogether?

Sorry for the abject nonsense.

Though I would bow the superior knowledge of our PSS guru Mr Jones in all things, it is worth saying that usually we alter the wing section to something glider like and thinner for penetration, and increase the wing area. Matt, however, who is a scale afficianado prefers to stay scale and build light. Personally I prefer beefy and slightly heavier using a lost foam fuselage.

Edited By Peter Garsden on 28/11/2015 07:35:05

Thanks Phil for the link, very very interesting. I note your comments with regard to wing section Peter, I was considering a rib profile that was more 'glider-like', but without taking away the scale looks. And at 120 inch, there should be adequate wing area, as long as I can build light enough. I am considering using the engine nacelles to house the church roof, but would that affect the flying characteristics? I would imagine that as long as the plane is laterally balanced, this should not be a problem. Or could I keep the wings lighter by housing any ballast on the CoG in the Fuselage.

I suppose for me it will be a case of very much stand off the other side of the slope scale....

Cheers

Ade

Ade, the Herc already has a mighty wing so you won't need to stretch it at all and I wouldn't go mad for all out light weight, big models can be made too light believe it or not. You need some weight behind it to keep it moving thumbs up Aim to keep the back end light and you'll be fine and shouldn't need too much lead to balance it, work out the wing area and aim for an AWU that gives a loading around 18-22 oz/sq' as a starter, 12-15lbs would be where I would be thinking. As for sections the Eppler 374 and 205 profiles have been used for many years and go well, both are quite thick so will represent the full size section nicely.

Shout if either Phil or I can offer any guidance, happy to help wink

The Herc will be great. If you're going to use depron and balsa, just build it and don't worry about weight, obviously heed the 'keep the tail light' advice, but apart from that it will come out much lighter than you'd anticipate.

My big Bucc is 7.5lbs using depron and glass cloth and is completely underweight! To the point that it will need ballast in even lightish conditions just to be able to penetrate!

Posted by Andy Meade on 01/12/2015 11:28:18:

Herc-wise I'd have to go for an AC-130, and fit airsoft guns in the side for strafing the pits cool

Funny you should say that; it's the one that I do fancy. The spectre is the one that is rarely seen. ...........coming to a slope near you soon...........

One consideration is the flying attitude of the full size. For example some aircraft fly with a distinct nose down attitude so I'd put some positive incidence at the root to achieve the right 'sit' in the air. Hercs sit flat so I'd set the wing root at 0 with the fuselage datum and then set washout to give -2 degrees at the tip.

Not saying it's the best option but it's where I'd be thinking.

At my local slope a couple (?) of years back a chap arrived with a high wing trainer, removed the prop and u/c the chucked it into the wind. It flew well so in answer to the original post, Yes high wingers are OK for the slope so scale high wingers should be fine,

Edited By Mowerman on 02/12/2015 10:20:38

I'm shooting for no more than 20lbs on this build, so a single man launch should be do-able. The formers are there just to give an idea for the shape, there will be big blocks of white foam in between them, hotwired to shape, then covered in brown paper & PVA yes

Practically a thermaller cool hehe.