Fuel

David Williams 2

Advert

Hi

WD40 (it used to be called Rocket WD40 supposedly as used by rocket engineers!) is great stuff but its main purpose is as a penetrating oil rather than for a long term protection. Great for freeing things up but it evaporates quite quickly and eventually leaves behind a sticky film, not nearly as bad as castor but it can mark the surface. 3in1 is much kinder for long term storage.

I have restored a number of antique (over 100 years old) sewing machines and you wouldn't believe how troublesome really old oil deposits can be.

One final point if you store in the loft you can get quite extreme temperature and humidity conditions, far from ideal, so liberal oil and wrap (preferably seal) in polythene. It will then last longer than you!

I am wary of using WD40 or alternative equivelents after experience of seal damage in an industrial environement. This was highlighted after extreemly expensive seals failed in weeks when they should have lasted years. It is designed as a penetrating and releasing agent, not as a lubricant.

After run oil is advised with good reason by a number of model engine manufacturers. In the quantities we would use, it is not expensive.I have had engines treated after use with it, then left for quite a long time, still turn freely and on inspection show little corrosion which was not there before storage.

you would not know if had rusty bearings if you just used wd40 to free off an engine then ran it, without stripping it down. the engine guru used to soak engines in parafin for afew days to loosen them up. iknow he reads this forum so he may reply sometime with his reasons for doing it his way, regards phil

Phil,

I think the fact that trying to turn an engine over by hand during pre run checks would produce interesting results, certainly sounds at least if it had been left or abused to the extent that the bearings had rusted, therefore internal investigation would be the norm surley before you tried to run such an engine not least for safety's sake! upon which you would discover the "rusted" bearings you would then know the problem and therefore i for one would not use such an engine unless the problem was rectified. .

Alex