Another model ID required

Area 51

The MkII plan on Outerzone shows the top and side elevations so if it were me, I would just project the fuz formers from those two elevations. From the photos, the top turtle deck is just a curve and from the scrap view on the left of the plan the underside is the same. It may not be 100% correct but pretty close, but then I am not a purist!

Nice looking model though. Would you be doing a lecky conversion or fitting a diesel to be authentic.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 03/01/2016 13:46:30

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 03/01/2016 13:47:27

Posted by Area 51 on 03/01/2016 13:07:27:

Hi lads, thanks for this. A Frog 45, party...

Does anyone have the MkI plan in a PDF at all..? All the ones I can find are of the MkII and this plan is missing the all important fuselage formers.

Thanks in advance.

Spotted that thanks, the clue is in the question.. I'm after a PDF copy to get it scaled up.cheeky

Thanks and here is to hoping!

Posted by Tony F on 03/01/2016 13:14:00:

Is this the correct plan mate = **LINK**

Tony

The Frog 45 was re-drawn by Ben Buckle and while keeping all the flying characteristics of the original was lighter and easier to build than the original . The wing should be a two piece job . Mine is the Ben Buckle version and still a very usable model but is only two channel . Low circuits and touch and goes are good fun and the cowled frog 150 gives a pleasant burble . The engine is set to run at about mid range with a nice diesel missfire , at full speed it would be a pylon job . The engine looks like it has a HT lead , has it ? I cant tell what the engine is from the pics. A frog 175 sparkie was shown on the original plan .

photo Frog.jpg

If its a Mk 2 the bottom of the Fuz will be like a boat hull with a hard chine and a join along the center line . The Mk1 I believe was curved similar to the turtle deck . Mk1 also  has an extra former in the cabin towards the rear of the side screen . Sizes all look the same but my Mk1 plan is a copy so may have a slight size differernce. I also have a copy of the original build instructions . If you want a copy let me know .

Edited By Engine Doctor on 03/01/2016 14:18:13

Thanks ED looks lovely - take this one is yours?, I read the thread where someone was putting an Os20 four stroke in it but it did increase the weight etc.

This is the route I am wishing to go as I do like the look of the model, but was wanting so just scale up a touch to carry the engine and possibly fit ailerons and drop the dihedral a touch!

Therefore on the search for the Frog 45 Mk1 plan with formers etc.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Edited By Area 51 on 03/01/2016 14:37:03

The Mk 1 plan is listed here. Cost is around £4 + £1.50 P&P.

If you don't intend to use a semi transparent cover material here's a quick way to make the turtle deck with stringers that avoids the stringers from sagging between formers (starved horse appearance). Cut a former at the wing TE, place a piece of 1/16" sheet on top of the longerons from the former to the tailplane LE position. Tack a piece of blue on the 1/16" sheet & sand to the turtle deck shape. Remove the 1/16" sheet & glue the foam to the longerons & top spacers then run 1/16" deep dummy stringers between the former & tail. Note the sacrificial 1/16" sheet should be cut verticaly so that when the blue foam is sanded it's edges will cover the longerons to give good support.

The above is easier to do in practice than it is to explain.

Lovely job, thanks PatMc.. I have emailed them for a copy, and - I also take your point on the blue foam around the turtle decks. I have been wanting to try some blue foam on a model, so this if going to be the start of it.

The pictures up top are not of my own model, one that sold on ebay that I liked the look of and decided to track down.. Job done.. thanks a lotsmiley