A Hunter in the woods

ron evans

A friend called me before Christmas to say he'd seen a big aeroplane on a transporter making its way up the lane to Manmoel. Must have been quite a job given the way the narrow lane twists and turns.

All he could tell me was it looked like a fighter and was in camouflage, so after the festivities I made my way towards Manmoel and about a mile north of our old flying site at Penyfan there it was, on a small farm, nestling among the trees, a Hawker Hunter.

Although it was wet and misty I got a pic of WT720, and when I got home did a quick Google to find the Hunters history.

Entering service as E408 with the R.D.A.F between 1956 and 1974, it then returned to Hawkers before being allocated for display at Brawdy, Cranwell and finally R.A.F.Sealand, where it was repainted as WT720.

When Sealand closed in 2006 it passed into private ownership, ending up in darkest Wales.

As (if) the weather improves I'll keep an eye on WT720, I hope it gets put back together.

hunter wt720

Advert

Ron,

First off, your picture is awesome!

This aircraft has a special meaning to me as the president of our flying club is building a large turbine powered Hawker Hunter.

I visited his shop awhile back and got a sneak preview of what was coming, I have to say, it will be breathtaking, Todd is a sticker for details, etc.

I'll surely take some pics and pass them along when he brings it out.

Again, nice photo, take care, chat later,

Jim

• 11 months later...