Mystery ship for ID again

Afternoon all, this came to me at a swapmeet recently and I cannot find anything to suggest what it is!

The span at present is 80" and fuselage length 46" .. I like a postive ID so I can finish her off and get it flying this spring.

Its got engine bearers for IC and is rudder/elevator/aileron etc. Apart from the dust its a nice build, straight and strong.

The tail feathers are pretty unique and I feel this is where someone might identify it from, I tried to show this in a close up of the rear end.

All ideas/suggestions welcomed, Thanks in advance

2016-01-04-1839.jpg

2016-01-04-1835.jpg

Advert

It looks a bit like a Bellanca CH-400 Skyrocket, although the tailplane outline isn't quite the same. There are several Bellancas of this period which are similar, CH-200,CH-300,CH-400 and the names Pacemaker & Skyrocket seem to have been used on each model (maybe a trim level klike they do with cars?).  The fin & rudder can be either as shown or a plain triangle.  The main difference I can see is that the centre section on your model continues the wing prop surface across the fuselage, whereas the Bellancas all seem to have a taller cabin than the wing trailing edge.

More here:  http://www.bigskystearman.com/projectbellancapacemaker.html

Edited By Robin Colbourne on 04/01/2016 17:28:02

Hi lads, thanks for the guidance here.

It has similarities with both, however that plan view of the Bellanca does look favourite right now, there isnt a lot of fuselage between the TE of the wing and LE of the tail, the outline of the fin/rudder is almost spot on, I guess the shape at the front is there but needs the outer cowl for the radial?

I was guessing the wingtips needed rounding off, but looking at this they are to be square and the build so far would support this this too.

Progress indeed here, thanks for that .. I'll try to find a plan to match these initial thoughts and see if can be pinned down!

Thanks a lot chaps.. wink much appreciated.. really isyes

Yep, Robin's got it, definitely a Bellanca. thumbs up

Judging by the tail shape I think it might be the US Navy XRE-1(or 2?) or possibly even a floatplane version. You should be able to verify via Google.

Edited By PatMc on 04/01/2016 17:38:48

Thanks a lot lads, I reckon we should run these on the run up to Xmas.. would keep us busy for hours.. "guess the model".. winner gets the plan etc..!!

I think we have pretty much narrowed it down now.. The Jerry bates plan at 1/7th scale just about matches but looking over an enlarged image the method used to build the tailplane and rudder does vary quite a lot; this airframel I have has laminated edges to the rudder/elevator/tailplane.

I am guessing it could be an enlarged plan of smaller model!. Still the majority of the work is done, I was keen to just get the final details/CofG.. but with what you have supplied me with here.. It'll be fine i reckon.. the Jerry bates @ 1/7th scale is showing a 1.20 four stroke.. Jeeze.. that would pull the flipping wings off this one.. I am thinking an 70/80, swinging a nice big prop.... but I'll get some more work done before I make a final decision - see how the weight comes alone.. its a large wing so it'll float nicely..

Robin, as PatMc has said, I reckon you nailed it first time around.. beer

I have also found this image after looking into them more after googling.... she is growing on me a lot as we research here..

model for id bellanca xre-3 skyrocket usmc c1933.jpeg

This has the stubby fuselage and nose (than I got with it) going under that outer cowl.. looking over the full size now, I realise I have the wing struts too in the big of bits I got with the model.. I thought these must have been of something else at the resemble wooden heli rotors, all built and aerofoiled!

The history of this type is here, it had a military life and limited civil too..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bellanca_CH-400

Really think we should have a pure "Mystery model thread".. wink

Thanks a lot again, its appreciated.. Grab that last mince pie with a brandy and coffee on me tonight! Cheers!

Edited By Area 51 on 04/01/2016 19:09:03

Edited By Area 51 on 04/01/2016 19:10:35

Hi John, thanks. Youre right it does have meaty struts. After the help here I was looking over google and realised the bag of bits I got with it contained the struts.. they are like heli rotors, laminated wood and aerofoil shaped!.. The u/c is robust in design too..

With all this work, I shall enjoy get her finished off now.

Thanks all once again

Posted by Robin Colbourne on 04/01/2016 19:33:29:

Area 51, I'm glad that I could help! I wish I could find the exact plan, lthough your model may have been a 'one off' scaled up from a drawing or smaller plan (of which there are many).

John, if you like beefy struts take a look at the Bellanca Airbus, or Aircruiser. When does a strut become a wing?:

Bellanca Aircruiser

It has a look only a mother could love Robin smiley

John

Close enough to get me off in the right direction, plus from the websearch - I have found some nice images to work with..

Robin, now that one does take the biscuit.. you would be hard pushed to find a plan for that!

Mind you, searching the Bellanca images, they did have some lovely designs and variations in the 30's - as PatMc said right off.. its that area 20-30's.. stylish..

To some I guess, we all get it - but some wont.. Still I reckon mine is going to be the X R E 1 - 3, i like the enclosed cowl over the cylinder heads and that exhaust tube coming out the front end and under.. smiley

Happy days.