2.4Ghx antenna

Is okay it  with 2.4Ghz equipment to have the antennas inside the body of the aircraft  when it is made of foam?  The wires are so short it seemed simpler to leave them inside the cockpit on my Easy Star which seems to work okay like that but I wonder if they might not be better on the outside to avoid nasty surprises. 

Advert

Is okay!

I usually roll and glue a piece of tissue paper around a bamboo skewer to make a thin tube and fix one along the inside of the fuselage and one vertically. Then you can insert the antennas into the tube and they will stay put. Try and keep them away from leads or carbon rods as far as possible and of course range check your new installation.

Thanks for that conformation, Rob.  That's more or less what I did, except that I use preshrunk heat-shrink tube and glue that in place as locators for the antennas.   To tell the truth, I did have a couple of heart stopping glitches the last flight and I shall try to discover the cause today.  I recently painted the canopy with a silver spray paint and it occurred to me that maybe the paint has metal in it which deflected the signal, didn't think of that at the time.   I'll check it out.

Spot on, Eric; it was one side of a T connector that was slack.  The paint seems too have no effect on reception.  I even tried putting the two antennas inside a metal box and they still picked up the signal - probably not how I shall fix them permanently however

As I have now gone all electric I have just invested in a Speky DX7, with it  I purchased 3 AR6100 receivers, I read with interest the aerial problem which I have remedied as per thread, but is there one specific alignment required for the aerial of the AR6100, ie, vertical or horezontal ? .

I tested this with a foam twister edf, first test was rx inside model drove of in the car and stopped using mobile kept walking away till max range was found. I took the rx out and tried with the ariel sticking out of the convenient hole under the fug. It now increased its range quite a distance.

Main point here was the max range with the rx inside was more than you could see the model anyway so no advantage unless you have a telescope taped on one eye Ha Ha or a camera and real time video.

I keep posting this same information over and over. The AR6100 and 6100E are officially classed as park fly receivers. However, they have far superior range to any 35Mhz park fly receiver I have ever seen.

I regularly fly a 60" slope wing way way out over and up above the Sea, almost to the point of not being able to see it and the receiver and aerial ( 6100E )  is buried deep inside an EPP fus, and I have never ever noticed a single glitch or problem.

Timbo just a thought.

I wonder of the fantasic range you obtain with  the AR6100E is due to the height you must be standing, and the location you are flying, out over the sea. It would be interesting if anyone flying at Ivinghoe Beacon with the same receiver experiences the same result.  

Well as water is alledged to reduce the effective reange of 2.4G equipment, one might expect the opposite - but never had a problem. I also tend to fly quite a long and large circuit when I am at my power site, and again.....no problems whatsover - even on an older DSM1 AR6000 receiver.

Hi

Has anyone fitted a Spektrum AR7000 into a Multiplex Funjet? I'm a bit short of room because I'm trying to do afairly outrageous install with 3s1p 3700, 4-Max 3600 motor, 75a ESC (w BEC) but was struggling with the rx installation. So far I've had to put the battery at one side, put the main rx at the front but with 1 antenna back and 1 front; and the satellite unit in the gap between battery and side of fus.

Any help or suggestions much appreciated.

Peter

• 2 years later...
Hi folks,

This weekend I had my first flight with new 2.4GHz equipment onboard, starting out with my trusty trainer as the test bed.

Range checks were all OK, but just OK. The manual says that good communication at 10m in range check is all you need for proof that the gear is OK, though I've read plenty of comments where some folks have had good communication upwards of 30m in a range check.

I had a very sharp drop in comms from right on the 10m mark, but since the manual says 10m is OK, I tentatively flew a few circuits, but kept it all relatively low and close in. All good so far.

As soon as I stretched the distance away a litte - FAIL SAFE! What's more, it was flying away from me!

Luckily I also had  reasonable height and as my trainer drifted away over a public road, comms returned and I did a very snappy 180 turn and had it cruising back towards the field.  In the time it took to get the plane back in close I had another two brief stints in fail safe but managed to get it down in one piece.

To the question - my antennas are mounted internally and the covering is solarfilm silver covering. Is the silver covering actually metallic and could this affect the available range?

Should I be mounting the antennas so that they stick out a little? Or as much as possible?

FWIW I range checked an identical receiver in an all-balsa plane, antennas also mounted internally and I did maintain control up to about 30m.

Any thoughts?

Shaun.

Hiya all, another thick newby question coming up. All this talk of shoving 2.4ghz receiver antennas through tubes is confusing me a bit, not difficult I hear you say. Ok so I've only got a cheapo radio outfit which came with my Art Tech Cessna but the two antennas from the receiver are only approx 1" long. Can someone explain please. Cheers my friends.#
Geoff