Soldering iron or ?

Posted by Nigel Grant 1 on 11/03/2016 06:37:32:

My heavy duty soldering iron that I inherited from my Dad has just burnt out and I need to get another one for soldering 8swg wire for undercarriage legs. Is the best idea just to get a 100w+ one with a heavy tip or are the ones with a wire loop like the Weller or Fuller ones OK? There is a Fuller brand on sale here (in NZ) available for a good price with a neat storage case.

I have one of the Weller soldering guns. Never been very satisfied with it.
I have seen them used with different loops for cutting foam, such as servo pockets, but I've yet to try that.

I have lots of irons from 15w to 100w and the 40w temperature controlled iron does most jobs.
My old fashioned thermal balance (uncontrolled element) 60w with 1/2" bit is handy for big connectors like Deans & XT90.

Somebody mentioned resistance soldering, which is brilliant for putting brass sections together but not sure if it would be any good on cables. Probably OK on connectors where you can get the earth connection and the carbon on something solid.

For undercarriage work I would probably replace your 100w Iron. Or a blowlamp (not one of those weedy pencil things, too hot with not enough heat).

I ended up getting a digital one from Maplins which can get quite hot but the tips are hollow alloy tubes. They are ideal for electronic things, heat up quick but for large undercarage wire they would be rubbish. Stick to good old solid copper tips or a pencil flame torch.

Posted by Dave Hopkin on 11/03/2016 08:16:48:
Posted by Kevin Wilson on 11/03/2016 07:57:12:Or a blowlamp (not one of those weedy pencil things, too hot with not enough heat).

"Too hot with not enough heat' How does that work then?

I suspect he means thermal inertia when the heat dissipates quickly and so isn't suitable for bigger joints.

When my Weller magnetically temperature controlled iron finally gave up the ghost after probably 40 years use - much of it professionally in the family TV business - I bought a Precision Gold A55KJ digitally controlled iron and station, probably from an eBay supplier. It has a variety of bit sizes and the temperature can be adjusted as required. I think it's 50 watts but I can easily use it to solder XT60 connectors.

For bigger jobs I have a 120 watt Henley Solon I've had since I was about 16, so it's 60 years old. One thing I insist on is having a decent soldering iron and both satisfy that.

Geoff

This is quite old and may not look much but is the bees knees of professional soldering stations. The tip fitted is only 3/32" and the tube under 1/4" but it makes very short work of 6 swg wire as shown in the pic. The drawback is that one would cost you £250. I was lucky enough to `obtain` one. When I worked as a professional solderer I only used a Maplin digital station and there is no reason at all why one of these should not give the same results. No matter how large the job the thermostat will try to maintain the same temperature.

metcal iron 001.jpgmetcal iron 002.jpg

sodering 012.jpg

Thanks for all the advice everyone, and the illustration of how it should be done Martin. I'll be getting another 100w iron with a solid tip.

Suns just rising here in Christchurch NZ and I've been down for a quick fly with my Mini Robot at the local sports fields before people start walking across it. Beautifully clear and calm with heavy dew showing we're on our way into autumn down here. Back home now with a coffee and couple of digestives as I type this out.

Nigel

You live in a beautiful part of the world, Nigel. I really liked Christchurch when we cycle-toured SI back in 1999 but that was before the dreadful earthquake. I had my last full size glider flight in the Southern Alps the same year, so lots of lift

Enjoy the digestives!

Geoff