Matador etc

Advert

General rule of thumb is you need 100 Watts per Pound weight, but something like a Matador could be as low as 80W/lb

I would think a motor of around 800kv running on a 3S would be in the ball park, but there will probably be someone on here who has electrified a Matador and can answer better

The ESC you need to make sure that it can handle at lest 10% more than max load current

I have a Veron Deacon which, at 57" span, is a bit bigger than the Matador but has the same power requirements.
Deacon power train data is : motor weight 57g, 1050kv, 3s 1300 lipo, 8x4 APC prop, an 18A ESC. At WOT 10.3A, 118W, 9900rpm. Model weighs 27oz RTF - so that's 70W/lb.
That has proved bags of power since it's first flight in 2009, the model takes off without problem from our grass strip with a good rate of climb, it can be looped & rolled with ease. Most of the time it fown at under 1/2 throttle.

BTW the power is about equal to a good 1.5cc diesel or 09 glow. e.g. an AM10 or Enya 09.

Hi, Buffy Mines powered by an emax2812 145w motor using 1300mah 3s lipos it's more than ample to power it. I covered mine in litespan if you do a search in the keyword box for matador you'll see at least mine and Chris Botts build blogs. I increased the rudder size a little and would also recommend increasing the elevator size by a small amount. I needed down and right thrust plus 20grammes of lead in the nose. I found litespan a pig to use and if I ever recover her it will be in solartex dispite it's weight. Good luck.

Lee

Sorry chaps, let me explain my lightweight flys on both 2s and 3s , calm abd breezy settings loi

The 1000mah 2s weights 57 grm

The 1000mah 3s weighs 101grm

So I stuck my neck out and assumed that 3 rectangular containers of chemicals, weighed more than the same size and make of assembly made up of 2 rectangular ontainers of chemicals

Conversely, if you had 5 house bricks, and put 2, on the end of a seesaw, and 3 on the other end of the seesaw, the end with the 2 house bricks would rise

Or if say you had 5 identical buses, and you put 2 buses................... .

Many thanks lads, it's at 17oz without covering but the wing is in solartex but it's original from the 70's and the wing is so straight I thought I would leave and solar film over it the fuselage has been stripped due to a soggy deisel front end, rebuilt and will be solar filmed, I've got a 30mm elevator and a 30mm rudder and was hoping that should be sufficient. Chosen film over tissue or lite span as I want silver wings/tail plane and sky blue fuselage, I used to have on a Galahad back in the 80's and it looked great.

I will be using you generous information guys to my best achievements.

Posted by Denis Watkins on 23/01/2016 21:14:18:

Sorry chaps, let me explain my lightweight flys on both 2s and 3s , calm abd breezy settings loi

The 1000mah 2s weights 57 grm

The 1000mah 3s weighs 101grm

So I stuck my neck out and assumed that 3 rectangular containers of chemicals, weighed more than the same size and make of assembly made up of 2 rectangular ontainers of chemicals

Conversely, if you had 5 house bricks, and put 2, on the end of a seesaw, and 3 on the other end of the seesaw, the end with the 2 house bricks would rise

Or if say you had 5 identical buses, and you put 2 buses................... .

You're not comparing like with like.

Taking 1s as 3.7v - 1000mAH 2s has the energy capacity of 1Watt hour whilst 1000mAH 3s has the capacity of 1.5Watt hour.

Following on from that it would need 1500mAH 2s to equal energy capacity of 1000mAH 3s. i.e. they would both weigh aproximately the same.

Edited to correct error :

You're not comparing like with like.

Taking 1s as 3.7v - 1000mAH 2s has the energy capacity of 7.4 Watt hours whilst 1000mAH 3s has the capacity of 11.1 Watt hours.

Following on from that it would need 1500mAH 2s to equal energy capacity of 1000mAH 3s. i.e. they would both weigh aproximately the same for 11.1 WHr.

Edited By PatMc on 24/01/2016 09:04:39

I did go through the same exercise a couple of years ago on an old Matador that eventually was successful and it was covered on this website. The plane is now stuck in my loft and perhaps my next move is to fit an OS 10 as it has flown with a brushed geared motor, a brushless motor and a PAW 1.5.

I can't remember the brushless motor details at present.

Matador 07-05-2012

• 1 year later...
I am about to start building a Matador. It will be a blast from the past as it was the first r/c model I built and flew in 1966, I am no w 66 how time flies.I will be fitting an electric motor with rudder, elevator and I would like people's thoughts on adding ailerons. I realise ailerons are not in the spirit of the Matador however neither are electric motors or elevators and proportional control.

IMO the Matador is a model that wouldn't benefit from ailerons. The model is easy to roll on R E only, the mods needed to the wing structure to take ailerons make them not worth the bother. If you want a small model with ailerons best pick something with them already designed in or easier to mod for them - the DB Tyro for example.

Hi Brock, as I am sure you appreciate the Matador, like most vintage rudder/elevator models, has a lot of dihedral. If you plan to fit ailerons you will need to to reduce this significantly or you will find that they will introduce some adverse handling, which will spoil your fun. Personally I would leave it as it is apart from your electric conversion of course. Good luck.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 12/02/2017 15:40:15