Combat size 3d printed plane

I've 3d printed recently my first really good rc plane a spitfire

http://www.modelflying.co.uk/albums/member_album.asp?a=39779

It's not an easy or quick print but you end up with a really good plane empty weight between 350gr and 400gr for 1 meter wingspan. Capable of speed over 100mph.

I will like to add that I'm not associated to the designer I just think this is totally awesome

You can view the range of planes available Spitfire, P51 Mustang, P47 Thunderbolt and glider type

https://3dlabprint.com/index.php

A video of the plane flying

https://youtu.be/qCBdvYt-cZU

Advert

Posted by Mark Kettle 1 on 28/01/2016 11:45:40:

Awesome - wow. Andy Meade? Hello, do you have printing time free?

Not much free time but I might get started on the P51 soon. Why would you want me to print one of them for you?

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 28/01/2016 11:47:46:

Fascinating Laurent. What's the flying weight and the power train?

Flying weight should be around 700gr to maybe 800gr depending on the setup you'll pick. If you check the video and pdf instruction he went for a rather odd choice of power train but somehow (efficiency wise) make a lot of sense a low KV motor for multicopter and a 6 cell battery Unfortunately this don't work for me as I don't have 6 cell battery or suitable charger. I used to fly E2K Pylon and I will use the power train from those 3536 1400KV and 3 cell 2200mha with 9x6 or 7 prop should give me plenty of trust will definitely be under 100kph but still fun

Thanks Andy!!!!!

That's what I'm looking for, a one-stop shop. thumbs up

So, just to confirm, more than capable of achieving the minimum requirements of:

3D Printer, nozzle 0.4mm diameter, PLA filament

min. build volume 195/195/150mm (or 250/120/150...)

recommended: Heated Bed

????

Its the nozzle size I'm unsure of.

Does the heated bed help stop the bottom edges curling?

Requirement to print those rc plane is mostly the size of the build volume and all require a minimum 195mm width x 195mm depth build plate. The height vary from 155mm for the Spitfire to 185mm for the P51

The good things is that the plane print using PLA and it doesn't require a heatbed to be printed then it allow cheaper entry machine. However a heatbed make things much easier. With this being said those are not easy print it take between 4 to 6 days to print all the parts for one plane (I guess if you rush it and have 0% failure rate start the print soon as they finish you might be able to print in under 3 days)

There is a lot of 3D printer out there and it all depend where you place yourself a consumer product person or a happy DIY tinkerer bare in mind that with both you'll need to learn about 3d printing and go over the frustration of failed print.

Andy is right the most accurate and the biggest print area is the key.

My advice is don't go for a "Makerbot" just too expensive and don't buy any machine that run only on their propriatory material

Laurent covered most points there - the nozzle size is a weird one. Filament comes in at one size, is heated, then squirted out at smaller diameter. It doesn't tell you much other than at a minimum, your wall thicknesses will be a touch under 0.4mm (due to shrinkage). A 0.4mm "hot end" is fine for things we'd want to do as aeromodellers, in my humble opinion. But fear not - you can change out nozzle sizes as and when necessary.

The heated bed is usually more for ABS. I like them as I print only in ABS! If it's there, you can use it, but you don't have to if printing in PLA.

Now printing material - that's another kettle of fish!

I've build my own printer based on the Prusa I3 kit but with a bigger heatbed

I recommended the WanHao I3 to a work colleague recently and he's been rather happy with it but it's a steep learning curve

Andy as open a can of worms with material. Me I never print ABS I think it stinks (ps Andy don't try printing the plane with ABS highly not recommended) I get most of my filament from http://www.shop.3dfilaprint.com/