Pattern Plane Welshman from Mr.Wanter

Classicpattern Team

Who knows more about the plane "Welshman".? Pilots name was "Wanter".

Its a very interesting plane, who knows more about? Information`s, drawings, pictures? We like to publish a documentation of this beauty.

welsman.jpg

Greetings from Germany

Editor Classic Pattern Team

www.classicpattern.com

Edited By Classicpattern Team on 31/01/2016 07:54:59

Advert

Hmm! I wonder - that looks like one of Pete Waters models? IIRC, he was Welsh - which would fit with the model name - and was the Min-X agent here in the UK. I believe he emigrated to the US (late 60s, or early 70s?), and ran Kraft MidWest over there.

He was a very active pattern aerobatic pilot here in the UK before emigrating, winning the Nationals more than once, and his models always had a slightly "stalky" look about them. That certainly looks like one of his.

Some more info here: https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwjCnf63h9TKAhXCWxQKHWTDBTsQFgggMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.modelaircraft.org%2Ffiles%2Fwaterspeter.pdf&usg=AFQjCNGKYoXVOq2dk2GJeLc_4WOazRvmfw&sig2=js7us8GlaX8t1DJsiuthDQ&cad=rja

(link to pdf file)

--

Pete

Edited By Peter Christy on 31/01/2016 12:37:41

Edited By Peter Christy on 31/01/2016 12:39:11

Yes, John, that's how I remember him! I think the German information must have lost something in translation! Looking at that picture you've found, that does look like the same model. I had the name "Altair" at the back of my mind, but wondered if I was confusing it with a later design!

And I believe Pete Waters was Welsh, so I think they have his nationality confused with the model name.

Good to clear up the confusion! smiley

--

Pete

Seeing the way the pilot is holding his transmitter reminds me of the way one of our club's F3a pilots holds his now. He has a tight harness which positions his transmitter high on his chest. Still, you can't knock it - not only does he design and build his own models but he was a BMFA national champion a couple of years ago. Pity he's Polish

Geoff

• 4 months later...

Pete is still living in Michigan, USA and also has a summer home in Clearwater, Florida. He did relinquish Kraft Midwest but is I believe now flying R/C Pylon again. I flew with him for a while in Michigan --- he bought a home that had enough land for a runway to accommodate both models and ultralights. His interest was more into homebuilts than models. I did get to fly with him in his "Pink" AVID FLYER and I believe he built a WW1 NIEUPORT replica.

Don't have his current e-mail but I am sure he is an EAA member so traceable.

• 7 months later...

Hi All, I can confirm the pictures are of Pete Waters who was a fellow club member in the South Wales Radio Control Society which still flies at Llandow airfield. Pete was a teacher from Pyle in South Wales and was a superb flyer. I still remember his lunchtime demonstration flight at the Nationals at RAF Hullavington. He completed a large rolling circle around the flight line and I counted 13 rolls. He was flying a Doug Spreng designed Thunderstormer with MinX reeds. He was also a keen pylon racer winning many competitions.

I think the "Altair" was an American design (Vic Husak?), so you may have more luck trawling the US sites! However, there was a "King Altair" - it appears to be a stretched version. You can download the plans here:

**LINK**

though it looks as if you have to be a member first.

I have a feeling Bob Cotsford built one a while back?

Funny thing is, that "back in the day", I thought it was designed by Pete Waters, as I don't recall anyone else flying one - or if they did, they didn't appear in the magazines! Ah, well, wrong again....!

--

Pete

Hi Mike T

As I recall Peter lived in or near Pyle but I don't know where he taught. He moved to the USA in the late 60s. I've found this photo of him which accompanied an article on Goodyear Pylon Racing. The Lil'Minx sports the Plaid Cymru three green triangles on the fin as did many of his models. In the same book it lists him as coming 23rd in the 1967 World Aerobatic Championships in Corsica where he was part of the GB Team with Chris Olsen and Dennis Hammant. Phil Kraft won the event and in 4th place was Doug Spreng who is credited with inventing the digital proportional r/c system still used today.

With regards to the Altair plan the only reference I can find is, as Peter Christy says, the King Altair including this item on eBay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KING-ALTAIR-scratch-build-Sport-Pattern-R-c-Plane-Plans-instruction-80-in-WS-/231563224795

peterwaters.jpeg