Wots Wot XL

Cymaz - I'm going to blank off the intake on the other side of the cowl and maybe fit some baffles to concentrate the incoming air on the cylinder and head, and increase the size of the cutout underneath, and fit a little lip to it as in full size practice to give a bit of low pressure to draw the air through. Hopefully it'll be OK.

Bob - Thanks! As my wife is planning an arty painting trip with her arty painting friends I thought I might head to Corfu. Looks like early June at the moment...

Cheers

David

Hi John - The spec for the Saito gives a weight of 34oz or 970g with muffler, so that would make the weight of the complete airframe less engine of about 5.5kg or 12lb. Haven't factored in weight of spinner and prop but shouldn't be far out. Obviously depends on your servo and battery choice - I'm using a pair of LiFe main batteries, plus a small LiPo for an onboard glow start.

HTH

David

• 1 month later...

Thanks all - now flown and the maiden was trauma-free, flies really nicely. I'm not a stick banger, so the recommended throws and expo give me exactly the control and smooth aerobatics I like. Ground handling was fine Rich, even though our patch is still pretty rough.

Only problem was vibration from the Saito. I'd read lots of things about them vibrating badly, and this one does. Lost most of the cowling screws despite them having ant-loosening small o-rings on them, and a couple of the mounting holes are now very much oversize. It's not properly set up yet though, and running fairly rich. Some users report the vibration improving when the low-end needle is properly set.

Won't get up to the club for a couple of weeks now due to family commitments, but hope to get it sorted out properly then.

Hi David,nice model indeed. I think you were a bit harsh on newbie forum member Alan Newman,"constant interruption " is not what I would have called it. As you say his experience after all those years would be a lot of help to many on this forum , and as for your reference of "a troll" what can I say. This is supposed to be a friendly forum, newbies are to be encouraged in all respects. Rant over Cheers,I'll get my coat.

Edited By fly boy3 on 03/04/2016 16:23:35

Edited By fly boy3 on 03/04/2016 16:24:40

Thanks for your kind words (Flyboy) I was not trying to spike anyones guns,I have flown large models for years ,with mostly large 4/strokes.About 5 rs ago my mate and I went 'Lectric,,At the time we could only convert Up to 60 size models,but over the intervening years the cost and availeability of large outrunners and the cost of large batteries,have now got reasonable in cost etc, we are still learning but there is no limit now on the size of model,we can fly sucsefully.I have a Wat 4 Xl with a hacker and 2x 5 cell batteries, no vibration 13 mins of flight, no smell or dead sticks etc. The latest is an Accrowat XL,we have had some issues on getting the C/G correct,and we have tried 3 different motors,we have gone back to a Hacker V3, now waiting for the Maiden, If you like I will report, so long as you are interested.

Big Al

My apologies David, the troll comment was not yours, sorry. You are right, a little bit of confusion that did not cause offence to any one including Alan. This great hobby of ours can cause confusion as we all want to say something at the same time and share our experiences regarding a particular model. LoL. Hope you accept my apologies.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys I have started assembling a Wots Wot XL too.
My effort will be powered by a Laser 155 four Stroke which is currently being built by the excellent chaps there in Hemel Hempstead. I chose this engine after being so impressed by their 80 for stroke in my Spitfire.
I will post up a few Photos when things start taking shape. So far I have just glued the ailerons on. The quality seems decent so far, although one of the aileron holes was drilled inaccurately and i had to move it about 8mm and fill it with balsa. The covering is very good. What I am finding a bit frustrating is the inaccessibility to get inside and reinforce the front end which I normally do on ARTFs. The construction is quite solid but I'm sure the front end and undercarriage area could be strengthened further. I will probably just add wood fillets here and there and then paint with my West Systems epoxy to harden it inside.
I am using tail servos..two smart Savox digitals rather than the rattly old push rod. The twin forked push rod used to resonate terribly sometimes on my Wot 4XL and I don't want that again.
I bought a lovely 4600ma 6,6v Life battery and BEC indicator switch at componentshop.com so i will probably instal that in a ply/Alu box which I will build in the nose. That should offset any extra tail servo weight.

Anyway I will update as i progress

Hi Rich good to hear. Should be nice with the 33. I am still at "thinking stage"at the moment and was a bit delayed fixing the retracts on my spitfire. . The ailerons are all epoxied now they went in quite well as per instructions. One hole was way out , but I filled it with balsa and cut it out properly. Next job is installing tail servos. I will make the slots and reinforce them with some .16"ply before putting in the tail plane. I think I will use carbon fibre push rods for each servo which I will fix to a threaded piece each end. I will soon start a bit of internal reinforcement with a few fillets and bits of glass fibre here and there.

One thing I am already making for this plane from some spare birch ply is a spare front wing support brace. I understand from some Wots Wot ARTF owners at my club that they sometimes have broken this piece after a landing mishap and spares can be hard to find/ expensive. What I have done is just traced round the original support which I have not yet installed and cut it out from plywood sheet. I am building my version up by laminating a few different thickness plywood sheets .

The instructions call for using cyano to hold the support in the front deck . I will probably use epoxy. I won't overdo the gluing otherwise it might be very hard to remove after a crash . Epoxy should be fairly simple to cut with a hot knife after a crash. I will make sure I just glue the edges and not the base. The base is secured by two screws anyway.

I have also reinforced the original wing support with thin rocket cyano.

Edited By Timothy Harris 1 on 25/05/2016 12:45:17

Been flying mine today, after metaphorically chucking it in the corner of the workshop after the last outing as I was so dismayed by the vibration of the Saito180 - it shook the airframe so much it almost just re-kitted itself.

Anyway, after deciding that even though it's hardly run in it was running so rich I needed to set it up better, and after half an hour of tweaking during which the low speed needle went in by a whole turn, the vibration calmed down to more normal levels. Still not perfectly set up, still a little on the rich side, but a world of difference. Only problem now is that it's not exactly quiet.

Anyway, engine problems aside, it flies beautifully.

not too worry, the UK warehouse has stock and 5 HXT servos ordered - £55 for 5 10kg mg servos and two Life receiver packs - you can't beat that for value!

I'll build mine completely stock so it will be interesting to compare to Tim's...yes

Edited By Rich2 on 29/05/2016 09:14:05